Shopping

Old 11-30-17, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shopping

I hate to shop but like most women - my wife loves shopping. She also loves Kmart but they're dropping like flies. The one closest to us closed a few yrs ago and the one a couple of towns over closed back in the spring. There is one across the border in Virginia, it's slated to close next year. Since it's a little further than she feels comfortable traveling alone, I went with her.

After an hour or more she was ready to check out with over $100 worth of stuff in the buggy. After the gal totaled it up, I slid my card into the thing to pay, waited over a minute for it to process and then it was rejected. She called over the manager who said "the system is on the blink, has been most of the morning and we can only take cash or local checks. Well I didn't bring my check book but my checking account isn't in that town anyway ..... so we let them keep everything but 1 item which we paid cash for. They could have at least put up some sort of notice!

Remind me again why dislike shopping

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-17, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My chiropractor's wife considers herself the queen of internet shopping. Maybe your wife would like to de-throne & replace her. It's worth a shot.

Old 11-30-17, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Management has the option of entering your card manually into the system. It costs them an extra percent or so. Unfortunately many company's policy don't allow manually entering the card anymore.

When I had my mobile electronics store.... many cards wouldn't swipe properly... or the automated approval system was on the blink. I always entered them manually. No way would I pass up a sale.

Old 11-30-17, 06:59 PM
If the system is on the blink it could be a number of things. Manual input may not make a difference. It could be the server, the Internet connection or the bank's end. Manual input is time consuming and requires both the cashier and the client to input information. In spite of the 1% expense (which I'm not sure of) I doubt it would be enough for a company to give up a sale and not allow manual input. In most cases the consumer will opt out of the sale not the store.

Also, in some cases, if a card is used too often within a time period or used from a distance that is not typical for that card holder, the bank has automatic stops for protection purpose. And sometimes it's just gremlins that cause a problem. I've had my card rejected at a store and not 5 minutes later accepted at another store.

What bugs me as a cashier, is when a card is rejected and the customer blames us, when the card previously was accepted and subsequent cards are accepted. Then there are those customers who know their cards are susceptible to problem due to age or wear or damage and refuse to go to the bank and get a new one. I have noticed that many gas stations are now posting notices advising customers not to use cracked or worn cards in the self pay pumps.

Old 12-01-17, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I understand stuff happens and credit cards don't always work. What irks me is there not being any notices that cards won't work [since they knew there was a problem] I noticed last night on the receipt a statement that 'all sales are final, items sold as is with no warrantys' There were no signs in the store stating that either although there must have been a dozen or more help wanted signs.

Old 12-01-17, 07:02 AM
My cynical opinion is that the store doesn't post a sign on the door saying "credit cards don't work today" because they hope people will do all their shopping, get to the register, and say "oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay cash or check" instead of walking away. Which of course only works if you carry enough cash, or a local check.

The devil's advocate in me says that maybe they knew it was "on the blink," but they had been having periods when it was up and periods when it was down, and you just happened to catch it on a down period, and maybe it was working fine half an hour before or after.

Either way, it's why I like my online shopping. No traffic, no stress, and I help keep my local mail carrier employed. And not having to pile a kid who gets carsick into the car to drive half an hour to the store is a big plus too.

Old 12-01-17, 08:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
t
hey hope people will do all their shopping, get to the register, and say "oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay cash or check" instead of walking away. Which of course only works if you carry enough cash, or a local check

Probably so. It doesn't seem bother my wife much that we wasted a half a day 'not shopping' she claims she enjoyed it anyway IMO it was a wasted day even though I did stop at Lowes and Harbor Freight on the way home to pick up a couple of things.

Old 12-01-17, 12:06 PM
To me, "shopping" = "buying." But to a lot of people (mostly women) I've known, that's not true. I don't know how anyone can derive pleasure from spending an entire day in a store looking at expensive things they can't actually have. Of course, I guess that's what people do in art museums, so...

Old 12-01-17, 02:13 PM
Either way, it's why I like my online shopping. No traffic, no stress, and I help keep my local mail carrier employed.
Until your credit card gets scammed! But not really. On line shopping is no less or more prone to security than handing over to a waiter or a clerk.

Probably so. It doesn't seem bother my wife much that we wasted a half a day 'not shopping' she claims she enjoyed it anyway IMO it was a wasted day even though I did stop at Lowes and Harbor Freight on the way home to pick up a couple of things.
I get very frustrated if I can't find what I want almost immediately. My wife will keep looking and looking.

Old 12-01-17, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
My wife will keep looking and looking.
Well how else can we find it, lol?!

Search this Thread