posting

Old 12-20-17, 04:27 PM
posting

I like the previous way we posted on this site. plumbing,automotive,gardening,stoves plumbing repairs.
I find my self fishing around to get into these forums.

Is there a reason for this? I liked the old way to view the forums

end of rant

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Same dropdown box as before.

Name:  rant.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  74.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-20-17 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't know any of that changed. Are you on a computer or a tablet, daswede?

Old 12-20-17, 07:54 PM
swede, please excuse me for being an idiot but what the heck are you referring to? I don't post any differently with the revised forum software than I did with the old software.

The forum still has all the same sub-forums.

There HAVE been some minor changes in the editor, no longer can we respond with sub and super script. The quote function no longer places a box around the citation. Adding pictures from the member's computer is a bit different than before but not really difficult. We have a lot more emoji (smiley face thingies) from which to choose.

Are you having trouble finding a specific forum? Go to the very top of the page, The black bar with the white lettering and move your cursor to Forums. Hover and it gives you an abbreviated drop-down menu of the major forums. Click on it and it gives you the entire menu of forums. Go a bit farther to the right and you find the search box.

Old 12-21-17, 01:32 AM
Group Moderator
Or just click on the link... "DoItYourself.com Community Forums" for the complete forum page. I'm also baffled by the question.

Old 12-21-17, 07:13 AM
DYI format

Thanks folks for your answers.

A week, or so ago I went to check the site ,as I usually do, and found the page different
from the last time I logged on.

That prompted my query here. I'm sure I will be able to re-learn how to use the site now

Thanks for your replies ,and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-21-17, 07:24 AM
The site formatting has been awful looking for me the past 2 days. Title bars, ads & such are even covering some of the post texts.
I assumed maintenance was happening & this was a backup.
Other forums I read are not affected so it doesn't seem to be at my end.

Not sure if that's a separate issue to what the OP is asking.

Old 12-21-17, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
You're not the only one who's seeing something in the last few days but it seems to be a small group; I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-21-17, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IE 11 is not working for me, the screen is haphazardly arranged.

Old 12-21-17, 09:05 AM
No problems for me........................................................

Old 12-21-17, 09:53 AM
I'm using g all three Manor browsers and have no significant problems. But I'm still not getting all email notifications. Seems spotty at best.

Old 01-03-18, 06:10 AM
Still no change. For example in the attached screen capture--did Furd have anything to say? His post is covered by a banner that can't be moved.
I'm with Handyone in that this forum is a formatting disaster on IE11. Unfortunately I have no other choice. I browse this forum on lunch & breaks at work and IE is the only browser allowed.
Has anyone alerted the forum webmaster that some tweaking is required?

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-18, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Since so little of the population is using IE11, I'm afraid it's on the bottom of the list to be fixed. Eventually, support for IE, Edge and FF, will be less and less on all message boards, not just this one. It doesn't pay to spend too much time fixing browsers that are on the decline.

Chrome and Safari are the ones most used.

Old 01-03-18, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
IE is really a problematic browser. I can use just about any I want at work but IE comes on the machines so it gets used often. We've found we cannot do the following with IE 11:
Order from Pizza Hut
Use Microsoft web pages for troubleshooting

Yes, you read the last one correctly - many Microsoft troubleshooting websites are not compatible with IE 11.

Old 01-03-18, 08:39 AM
I use FF, am not fond of Chrome so it is sad to hear that support for it will be phased out.

Old 01-03-18, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
It's based on usage and this site gets hit with Chrome and Safari while everything else is a very small percentage.

FWIW, FF 57 has been an improved browser so it's possible that one will go up, which may put it into the category of getting tested again.

Short answer is the more you use a browser to access this site, the more likely it is that browser will get tested.

Old 01-03-18, 08:48 AM
True for mobiles but IE is still #2 for desktops & laptops.

If you don't use IE maybe you don't know how screwed up this is. I can't even reply to a post without clicking "Go Advanced" then scroll down below the normal text box to the bottom of the page where a mysterious plain box is open with the cursor flashing in it. How many casual viewers and occasional members will even bother?

Old 01-03-18, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had to stop using IE 11 and am now using chrome. With IE 11 the site is pretty much non-functioning.
I'm hard to change so I use IE 11 for other sites.

Never used FF. Should I check it out? So far I'm not fond of chrome, it doesn't seem intuitive to me.

Old 01-03-18, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use both FF and Chrome but I prefer FF. I'll use EI if you have a big enough stick

Old 01-03-18, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
To guy48065, if you're talking to me, I'm just a mod here, not a tech. I'm also just the messenger relaying to you what we were told.
FWIW, I use FF and am not having any problems.

Old 01-03-18, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
True for mobiles but IE is still #2 for desktops & laptops.
No, the results Shadeladie and I are referencing were based on how this site is accessed. It's something like 5% each IE and FF.

Old 01-03-18, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Something annoying that chrome has been doing on my tablet lately... loading and loading and loading... (apparently its requesting a mobile site page) because the fix is to click options on the top right and click the "request desktop site" preference. Then it loads right away.

Old 01-03-18, 01:49 PM
I like the new Firefox. But I did need to re-install twice. Facebook had a never ending loop of updating and before that I could not log into Tinker-cad website. Each time I reloaded everything came back including bookmarks and extensions with no problems. I'l use Chrome as an alternative and IE as a last resort.

Search this Thread