wiper blades

Old 12-22-17, 05:58 PM
Angry wiper blades

Anybody who does winter driving will know what I mean. On all cars that I know if the wipers are left on (especially in delayed mode) and the engine is turned off, the wipers will start up immediately upon restart of engine. Now if it snows or ices builds up during the period that the car is not running, those blades will get buried and or frozen to the windshield. Upon starting most people will forget that the wipers were left on and they will strain to break free from ice or lift all that snow.

Yes, I know you should and most likely will brush off the snow and clear the blades. NOT! Lets face it who clears the snow so well that the blade rest point is perfectly clear. Or you may not realize the blades are frozen and the rest of the windshield is clear.

If they can make it so that the cruise control will turn off (FORD) when engine is shut off why not the wipers? On Chevy the cruise is always on but not enabled. Or other accessories will default to off when engine is shut down and must be turned on when engine starts.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-17, 06:29 PM
It is because the wipers have a "park" position out of the line of sight. While it could be done it would entail a fair amount of re-engineering of the park function and the power to that function. Plus, it would require a different type of multi-speed wiper switch.

For me, it is not that difficult to remember to turn the wipers off and let them park before turning off the engine. Cars are already too expensive and have far too many "convenience" factors that drive up the cost.

Old 12-22-17, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
This post is mis-titled. It should be car or auto wipers.

I thought this was going to be a rant on wiper blades. On the package.... long life blades. Inside on the instructions..... replace every six months. I remember when you could get a year or two..... or even more on a set of blades.

Not that you have to change them every six months but most don't work for crap after a year.

Remember the refills. Now gone.

Old 12-22-17, 07:51 PM
Up until this last car I have always bought refill blades. Bought them from the Toyota parts counter and the parts guy even installed them for me. They were no more expensive, probably less if I remember correctly, than buying the aftermarket blades with the holders.

Old 12-22-17, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
I went in to Pep Boys and Napa for refills. They looked at me like I had three heads.

Old 12-22-17, 08:16 PM
I needed a new tail light bulb for my 97 Camry. No problem, I said to myself, I'll get one at Fred Meyer (a local chain ultimately owned by Kroger). Nope, their catalog had a listing but they didn't carry it. So I went next door to NAPA figuring they have everything automotive. Nope, same story. I suppose I could have hiked another quarter mile to the O'Reilly auto parts (is that a national chain?) at the far end of the parking lot but instead I drove to the Toyota dealer. I bought two of them just in case.

I don't know if I have genuine Toyota wiper blades on my present car or not. The used car dealer I bought it from changed them when I bought the car.

Old 12-22-17, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
I couldn't find a new rear blade for her Kia Soul ! (Yes, thats right...it's a Soul "!") 2 yrs ago anywhere except the dealer...most places didn't even list it in the catalogs. Well, I wasn't paying $16 at the dealer for a blade 1/2 the size of the fronts...something in my gut just wouldn't let me.

Bought a 24" bottom line replacement for about $6. Dismantled that sucker and the OEM one on the car, cut the new rubber part in half, slid the metal "bars" from the old one on one half, put it back in and bent the end back down to retain it. 8-10 months later did it again. Then found blades on clearance at Kmart for $5 each, bought all they had. Got one left, but everyone carries them now. Kia Souls are thick as flies out here.

And yes Furd...O'Reilly is nationwide...5000 stores in 47 states and an O' Reilly is still in charge. Oddly, most of their off the shelf stuff is more expensive than Autozone here, but their special order options are way cheaper. And I just found out they give a military discount, at least at my store.

As to the auto turn off of wipers. Well, that would irritate the snickers out of me. If we're getting freezing rain or snow (yeah..that happens about 3 days a year here...maybe), I cut the car off with the wipers midstroke on purpose. That way I can flip them forward like ant antennae to be able to clear the windshield in the morning (Hah...like I would ever get up that early!) without interference.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-23-17 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 03:27 AM
Cars are already too expensive and have far too many "convenience" factors that drive up the cost.
True so very true. During winter months I retrain myself to always to put the vents in defrost mode before turning off the engine. I'm now learning to put up the blades as I exit the car.

I wish I could take all the nice (and some old) features of various cars and incorporate them into one. But that's another rant!

Old 12-23-17, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Although we don't get the snow/ice as y'all do further north, I almost always make sure my wipers are unstuck before getting in the vehicle. There have been a couple of times I forgot and paid the price.

Norm I hear you on standardizing the different features. My biggest complaint is the placement of the switches. I regularly drive 3 different vehicles, ford truck, jeep and an altima. All 3 have the wipers and headlight switchs in a different place, even rolling down the windows is different.

Old 12-23-17, 03:52 AM
The same thing has baffled me any number of times too, Norm. The headlights on many if not most vehicles today stay on for a bit after the ignition switch is turned off, meaning power is still available, so it seems that they could route some of that to a "park" switch for the wipers. On the other hand, there is already a lot going on in the multi-function switches in steering columns, so I'm just happy when everything works, and have resigned myself to trying extra hard to remember to turn the wipers off myself.

Old 12-23-17, 04:00 AM
wipers and headlight switchs in a different place, even rolling down the windows is different.
Yes, another one of my and the wife's pet peeves. And if you drive a Ford vs a GMC, most likely the gas fill door on are opposite sides. So now try to remember what car your driving and pay attention to the dozen or so cars coming and going at the pumps when you need gas. It's plot I say, all a Communist plot! Or is it because of the bomb!

Old 12-23-17, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
if you drive a Ford vs a GMC, most likely the gas fill door on are opposite sides.
Luckily all our vehicles have the gas cap on the driver's side although it can be challenging to remember when driving one that has it on the passenger side. Modern day gas gauges have an arrow indicating which side the cap is on but you have to remember to look

Old 12-23-17, 05:23 AM
if you drive a Ford vs a GMC, most likely the gas fill door on are opposite sides

Its not even the different makes, I drive GM products and they are all different, the gas fills on different sides, the switch locations, and even the switch functions.

On my Camaro and Captiva, the steering wheel has a rocker and rotary switch. One for stations and one for volume, yep they are reversed between the two cars.

Two different generations of my wife's Equinox, all the multi switch functions for wipers and cruse control, not to mention that stupid LED display for radio are all different.

I work for that company but at times I think they are clueless when it comes to operator interface. But I know they are not alone!!!

Sorry, a little off topic to the OP, good thing we were not discussing autonomous cars!

Old 12-23-17, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Re: Sticking wiper blades

I always thought the feature on some cars where there's a little plastic/rubber "ramp" that raises the blade off the glass surface (or at least partially) was a good idea. Always wondered why it didn't become standard. I don't have a problem with iced up blades very often , but the wiping rubbers tend to get an angled "set" to them from being in the park position.

While we're on the subject of windshield wipers (more or less), let me rant about a safety feature that for the life of me I can't figure out why it hasn't been incorporated: Why haven't car computers been programmed so that if you have the windshield wipers on for longer than a few seconds (like using the sprayer to clean) that the headlights come on? Drives me nuts seeing (or NOT seeing) people driving in a blinding downpour with wipers going and no head lights, or just as bad, PARKING lights on. I'm also not a big fan of daytime running lights unless they are auto-on to full function after dark. Can't count the number of times I've seen cars after dark with no taillights, but headlights glowing (dimly) because the driver is too clueless to realize they're the DRL's.

Okay, rant over.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-17, 06:42 AM
On my Chrysler products (wife's Chrysler 200 & my Dodge Charger), if you have the headlight switch set to "Auto", the headlights automatically turn on if you have the wipers on, even if set to intermittent. In New York, it's a law that you have to have your headlights on if your wipers are on.

Old 12-23-17, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In New York, it's a law that you have to have your headlights on if your wipers are on.
Isn't that true in every state ??

I know enforcement varies

Old 12-23-17, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
The law in Florida; doubt if it's ever enforced.

Old 12-23-17, 12:38 PM
And since were on the subject...Why can't they provide a heat wire (like on the back window) that surrounds the windshield perimeter and maybe one along the center going up and down? That won't interfere with vision but will certainly help with ice defrosting. I'd pay for that. You can eliminate the 40 or so radio pre-program buttons. At that point why bother with pre-programing? At least the squirters are embedded in the hood so they won't freeze, unlike some cars where the fluid tube runs up along the wiper blade.

On my new Chevy Travisty I have a glove compartment located on the top of the dash. About as useless as a rubber crutch! The top flips open towards the windshield effectively blocking vision.

Old 12-24-17, 08:57 AM
addendum to wipers

Wiper fluid. That almost all come in round gallon container. Except for Prestone. But their the exception. So why can't the auto manufacture provide a 1 gal container cavity to just drop in the new bottle in and screw the pump cap on?
https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...Bk7LQ_lyOVpNM:

Yea, yea, I know all about the plastic container needing to meet DOT standards. But hey, it's nothing more than diluted alcohol. If they sell it in those containers why not use that same container and save the environment just a bit? And it would reduce the cost of the car and one less replacement when in an accident. What harm can it do?