Cold and snow!!

Old 12-30-17, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Cold and snow!!

I'm ready for summer! I hate this arctic cold and now it's snowing today, too! They're calling for another week of cold. We're not used to this extended, extreme cold around here.
Don't know how people up north deal with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-17, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Well they are saying -22F Sunday night and -20F Monday night around here... so hope the cars start in the morning. No way in hell I'm bringing the battery in.

Nothing can be as bad as the winter of '89 (yep, it was '89). 7 days straight where the high temp never got above 0F the highs were usually in the -10's... and every night it was -20 to -30F. THAT sucked.

My gf had dumped me... it was Christmas week... and I worked as a carry-out at a grocery store. Talk about cold! At work, one of my tires had frozen to the ground in the parking lot and when i went to move the car, it actually rolled the tire right off the rim. (Fixing that was fun) A couple days later the cold had worn the battery down and my car would no longer start (flooded + dead battery) and we had to tow it to my grandpa's.

But one good thing that came from that... that day we took the car to grandpa's (he said "i'll get it started for you".. and i thought "yeah right") that was the day I realized my grandpa was not just a crazy old coot... he took the spark plugs out, got his acetylene torch out (I thought oh my god he's gonna burn my car up) and he briefly held the torch up to each plug hole. Put the plugs back in... and started it right up!!! I told him he was a genius.

I was so astonished I about cried. Okay maybe that was still from the gf dumping me. LOL

Old 12-30-17, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well I guess I'm thankful I don't live there! I'd 've been crying, too!

Old 12-30-17, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know how people up north deal with it.
Shady, I thought you were up north
Locally when it cools off tonight [currently 35] it's not expected to get above freezing again for a week or so
As long as there is no extended snow coverage on my driveway - I'll try not to complain!

Old 12-30-17, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
I will try to refrain from making snide comments about how "cold" you all must be. lol!

I wish it was only "freezing" here. It would be about 40 degrees warmer.

Old 12-30-17, 10:58 AM
Almost 50 degrees here at 11AM.

Old 12-30-17, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Shady, I thought you were up north
HA, yeah from you! But there's some farther up with much colder temps and more snow. We're kinda in the middle, I guess.

Old 12-30-17, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Actual air temp right now is -7. Really it is not a big deal if you dress for it. Function over fashion is what I keep telling my wife.
Earlier I went out for a couple hours to plow the driveway (we got a few more inches of snow this week) it was about -15. Open tractor but it again, you need to dress for it. Heavy boots, insulated jeans, bibs, face mask, mittens heavy jacket, etc.

It always amazes me how our horses can handle temps like this.

Old 12-30-17, 01:16 PM
High 30's and sunny, no wind, I'm biking 50 mile trails.

Low 30's and I'm in the garage working on the cars.

Anything in the 20's and below all I hear about from my wife is how nice it is AZ but I could never live without green grass, trees and everything that goes with it.

Today is much worse than the past week, it's 12 but the wind has picked up.

It's going to be a cold walk to the hot tub this evening!

Old 12-30-17, 02:08 PM
Thursday night was -29F and last night was a mere -24F . . . . but the power stayed on, so that's not too shabby !

What I hate is when it's -48F and the power goes out for half a day (as it did on 1/9/2004) . . . . that makes me cranky.

Right now, if the incoming water doesn't freeze, and if the power stays on . . . . it's gonna be a good day !

Old 12-30-17, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm in San Diego and it was 75 today, Please do not get mad at me... I'm originally from Ohio and believe me, a parka was your best friend.

I don't even want to think about Chicago or Buffalo.

Old 12-30-17, 04:14 PM
We have friends spending the holidays in NH. The pump for the community septic system has frozen and they have been told not to flush for the next 2 days. 8 People in the house - no flushing?

We made it up to 14* today. No wind and it almost felt balmy after yesterdays 10* with 20 mph wind.

Really NBD if you dress for it.

Old 12-31-17, 04:42 AM
Talk about cold! At work, one of my tires had frozen to the ground in the parking lot and when i went to move the car, it actually rolled the tire right off the rim.
No one should have that bad a luck! Now that's damn cold!

septic system has frozen and they have been told not to flush for the next 2 days. 8 People in the house - no flushing?
That has got to be the worst Holiday nightmare to be part of. I'm hoping my HW tank survives the holiday weekend.

This morning (New Years Eve day) my back yard thermometer registers 1 degree. Too cold to go out for my morning Timmy Ho's coffee. I'll make in house today!

Old 12-31-17, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
What are those numbers you are talking about? -XX temps...how do those work? Humans can't live in those conditions. Impossible!

Now here.... about 76 and sunny yesterday. Shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt were just fine...until the sun dropped. Rapidly went down to about 47 and was 42 when I woke up. Back to high 60's today, more if the Sun comes out.

Marq...you can grow grass and our trees do have nice green leaves (as well as needles). We also have mountains, valleys, buttes, canyons, rivers, streams, etc. Now, Tucson and Phoenix or Lake Havasu...that's a little different.

Becky...uh, hate to tell you....YOU are up North....Yankee. Lol

I vowed no more cold in my last year of "A" school in Great Lakes....-75 windchill off the lake, you couldn't walk a block w/o having to stop in a building to warm up. (And I had thought growing up in Ohio was bad) When that let up, people were wearing shorts and T-shirts...in 40 degree weather...it felt so nice.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-31-17 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-31-17, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
I think we have reached our high temp for the day. -10F right now and sunny.

-24F tonight they are saying now. Even colder if the wind is calm.

Old 12-31-17, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Becky...uh, hate to tell you....YOU are up North....Yankee. Lol
Well yeah, lol, but I guess what I'm saying is, we're more on the lower end, in Philly. We rarely get in the 20's let alone the teens and we've been stuck there this past week and getting even colder this coming week ! We're not used to this kind of cold. I'm dressing in layers and I'm still freezing!

Altho after reading some of your temps , I shouldn't complain!

Old 01-01-18, 07:37 AM
Although we haven't had the snow (yet anyway), I'm with you and sooo ready for spring and summer! This is what I got to drive home from work this morning! Fortunately they say it should be the last of this cold blast and should start warming up--to above zero this week!

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-18, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
I hope summer never comes! I can put on enough clothes to keep warm, but I can take off all my clothes and still be hot. And if I go out like that the boys in blue tend to show up.

Old 01-01-18, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
..... and that might be why I prefer spring and fall

I'm just glad I didn't develop a mental picture

Old 01-01-18, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
I'm just glad I didn't develop a mental picture
I can help you out with that if you like...where is the personal message page?......please hold.

Old 01-01-18, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator

Old 01-01-18, 08:58 AM
I've been out to my shop a couple of times this morning, and am heading back for a bit now, but too cold to stay out there for any significant amount of time. I always have at least a few projects in the works, but it's hard to keep the gloves off long enough to get things marked, and everything from squares and tape measures to saws and drills are too cold to hang onto for very long. I have a salamander that knocks the chill off at normally cold temperatures, but this stuff, especially hanging around as long as it has, is not normal, at least not this time of the year. More like what we'll see in the mid-January to mid-February time frame, and even then I don't think it generally hangs around this long. Looks like about a week to go and then we can look forward to getting close to freezing!

Old 01-01-18, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
All of my comments aside, I would like to see the temperature above zero. It is quite cold!

Old 01-01-18, 12:54 PM
Name:  c temps.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  13.9 KB

On the 26th our HIGH was -15. Looking at the NWS 3 day history I see last friday had our warmest temperature, -3 but we should beat that today. Our biggest problem is we might have 4" of snow on the ground, frost is going down. One good thing is the dog doesn't stay out long.

Wanna see crazy? Yesterday morning at 7:30 (-24) these people were down there just to watch a boat come in.

Name:  COLD.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  60.0 KB

Sure am glad I'm retired, I ain't going out for nothing.

Old 01-01-18, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
we have reached our high temp for the day. -10F right now and sunny.
X, are you saying it's a balmy -10? I'm sorry man but that's funny.
I think they call it a three dog night

Old 01-02-18, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Long pants and jacket weather here until Sunday; mostly highs around 60, average low around 40. No snow yet.

Old 01-02-18, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Was waiting for you to chime in tg! If it were 60 around here, people would be walking around with shorts and tshirts! It would feel like summer compared to what it feels like now.

Old 01-02-18, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
LOL. That's how we ID the snowbirds, they're the ones in shorts and sandals when it's 60 out. I wouldn't complain, but we had an unseasonably warm December, lots of days in the mid 80's and practically overnight we're 20 degrees colder. A little transition period would have been nice.

Old 01-02-18, 08:08 PM
I've got 43 degrees as of 8 PM. The car was frosted over at 5 AM but completely thawed by 10:30. Other than Christmas Eve and Christmas Day it has been rather balmy in the greater Seattle area. We did set a record with having at least an inch of snow for those two days.

Old 01-03-18, 02:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It was 6 degrees when I got up yesterday, 6 this morning. Yesterday's high was 21 degrees ..... but it is supposed to get up to 40 by this weekend. At least we don't have any snow!

Old 01-03-18, 03:19 AM
Yesterday our northern Erie county area had a blizzard, resulting in a apprx 25 car pile up, several injuries and on confirmed dead. About 75 cars were involved overall. Thruway closed as was our Skyway. The usual southern Erie county area was clear and nice although cold.

Old 01-03-18, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I cant top you guys but its been in the teens overnight here since Sunday & not getting above freezing during the day. No snow or rain but its just miserably cold down here with windchill factors in the single digits.

I have to say that I hate cold weather... absolutely hate it. By the time it gets down in to the 50's, I am ready to find me a cave & hibernate with the bears until spring. Additionally, to make winter worse, I hate bundling up. Big coats & thick, heavy clothing, etc.

I often tell people that although I live way down south in Louisiana, I am already too far north.

Old 01-03-18, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
I'm with you Dixie. I hate the cold weather and bundling up, too! I'm having to bundle up just to take a bag of trash out.
Now we got that nor'easter coming up the coast and the coldest temps yet on Friday and Saturday.

Old 01-03-18, 06:30 AM
Sounds like it'll be an interesting 24 hours down in Savannah.

We need some snow up here, sooner the better.

Old 01-03-18, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
We need some snow up here, sooner the better.
I'll send the stuff we're getting your way, lol! You can have it all.

Old 01-03-18, 07:21 AM
We are under a winter storm warning with a Nor'easter crawling up the East Coast. Current forecast is 10" and up. Winds are expected to exceed 50 mph. The Washington Post is calling it a "Bomb Cyclone." Like most Nor'easters it's really difficult to predict the snowfall. Just a couple of miles difference in the storm's track can be the difference between 2" or 20" of snow.

I've lived in So. Cal, Northern Cal, Washington State, Colorado, The Fla Keys, South Carolina, PA and 3 New England States. Despite the cold winters, I still prefer New England over every other place I have lived.

Time to test run the generator and the snowblower.

Old 01-03-18, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Had to run to town and got the bright idea that I'd wash my jeep. Not only was the car wash shut down, there were icicles and big balls of ice on the wands. Guess my jeep will stay dirty a while longer

Old 01-03-18, 10:05 AM
Despite my frustrations with not being able to handle it like I used to, and my own general gripes about this stuff, I do empathize with some of you. We have around a foot of snow on the ground with an actual temperature of 14 and a "real" feel of 0, and yes, much like a lot of you, this is as warm as it's going to get the rest of the week, but that's it. I've plowed a few times, but it's cold enough that the snow is not nearly as heavy as we often get, so everyone is getting around fine. Well, everyone who wants to. We have had our share of people who don't know enough to take it easy, so plenty of pileups, but nothing too exciting. But I know that some of you have it a lot colder, or a lot more snow, or maybe both in some areas. And I don't think there are a lot of youngsters here, so give yourself plenty of time, take breaks when shoveling or whatever, don't overexert yourself, and enjoy it as much as you are able. I think it's natural to hurry yourself a long a bit even for things like getting to and from the mailbox, and I'm in pretty decent shape overall, but have noticed several times over the past week or so that I'm breathing a little harder in these frigid temperatures.

Old 01-03-18, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We are visiting in Jacksonville FL and all schools closed, government offices closed for the slight possibility of freezing rain north of Jacksonville. It rained today