How fat are you?

Old 02-05-18, 08:31 AM
How fat are you?

Local TV news had a doctor on last night that was bragging up their new weight scale. State of the art, it supposedly has the ability to measure not only your weight but to accurately determine body fat %.

Cost of the scale is $90,000. I can tell if I'm fat just by looking for my toes in the shower.

Is it any wonder that medical costs are so high?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 09:32 AM
The latest thing I have found is for "labs" to charge separately for administrative costs connected with the actual testing. These are billed as "quality control" and such apart from the actual blood drew (which is also a separate line item charge) the testing reagents and the technicians time. the charges, amazingly enough, seem to mirror the charge for the individual test itself, in other words, a LOT OF MONEY!

Now to me the incidental costs, the IV needle, the vacutaner ampoule, the wear and tear on the centrifuge ad nauseum is part and parcel of the test itself. Consider also that some tests will be billed at ten, twenty or more dollars but the lab accepts insurance payments of only a few dollars as payment in full and it is easy to see why medical costs are so high. I received a bill in excess of $600 for administrative costs of the labwork done when I was in the hospital last August. This was over and above the costs of the tests themselves which were billed at $8,892.00

In fact, I have the bill right here and the total charges were $64,041.10. Insurance paid $11,265.60 and there was a "total adjustments" line of $51,275.50 leaving me to pay $1,500.00. That $51,275.50 just disappeared into thin air. Now SOMEBODY had to pay it or else all the charges are totally bogus just to cover the write offs.

Heck, I would be happy just to have the glove contract at any medical facility. When I go to the wound clinic to get my legs wrapped the medical assistant who takes my BP uses at least two pair, the nurses each will go through at least a half-dozen pair and the doctor or ARNP another several pair.

As much as I dislike government interference in my life, or anyone else's life, I think the ONLY solution to the healthcare funding crisis is a total removal of the "for profit" aspect. Make all healthcare facilities quasi-governmental businesses prohibited from making a profit. Pay everyone a decent living wage and end the HUGE salaries for administrative personnel.

Old 02-05-18, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm convinced the majority of the medical field is out for every penny they can get. Several yrs ago when I cut the tip of my thumb off, I was in the ER for 4 hrs but only seen medical personnel for about a total of 20 minutes. The bill was originally several thousand but medicare cut it down to 600 which I think I paid $150 of. There is a reason our local 25 yr old hospital has been having ongoing remodeling for 25 yrs.

Old 02-05-18, 09:55 AM
All I could do is shake my head after this. What else are they doing?

Your Co-Pay For Prescriptions May Be More Than Just Using Cash CBS Miami

Old 02-05-18, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our pharmacist usually charges us less than the copay when a drug is cheaper than what the copay would be. Don't know how other drug stores operate.

Old 02-05-18, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
My experiences are a little different I guess because I have my military health insurance coverage. I was in the hospital for 2 nights in June 2016 after a trip to he ER. Got a bill (statement actually) 3 months later for about $22K with a note saying do not pay, awaiting insurance. Next month...same thing. 3rd month...bill for something like $16K...and no note this time. Checked my insurance online, and saw a rejection because some things weren't billed correctly, but they had payed some charges. Spoke to hospital billing, they said don't pay yet, being re-submitted. Year later get a bill for $1800...but still hadn't been accepted by insurance. Talk to billing again...they said...oops...computer error (even saw a story in the paper about thousands of bills sent out in error).

To wind up...I never paid a dime for that stay and apparently neither did insurance. The ER visit and the contracted docs there were the only ones who got a dime. Why? Because hospital billing department didn't use the right codes. (Of which there are something like 150,000 now?) So the hospital ate the bill (because I'm sure not paying after almost 2 years...and they are in my network, so they have to do the insurance billing). So, whats the hospital going to do about my writeoff? Make someone else pay more. And lets not forget the fact they have to treat anyone who comes to the ER, esp those seriously ill or injured...whether they ever get paid or not. Someone has to pay for that too.

As to scrips...I use mail order so the max I pay for a generic is $10 for 90 days. If I only need a small amount (like the hydrocodone and antibiotics when I tried to cut my thumb off), I go to the local Kroger (Smiths actually) and they normally match or beat the online price. Way better service than Walmart as well.

I've spent the last year trying to figure out how everything is going to change when I start Medicare. My military then becomes secondary, but I have to pay for part B, unless I also need part C and Z which cost more , but....etc etc. Makes my head spin.

Old 02-05-18, 01:02 PM
Vic,

I have Medicare and TriCare for life coverage as does my wife. In 10 years we have yet to pay a single cent (other than the part B medicare cost) for a medical bill. Medicare pays what they want and TriCare pays what they want and so far the drs and hospitals accept that. We're fortunate to live near a Navy clinic and we get our prescriptions there for free. If you have a military hospital or clinic nearby it might be worth checking it out. Then you wouldn't need part C through Z.

Old 02-05-18, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Nope...no clinic w/in 120 miles. Don't mind the drug costs too much, I won't be on any in a few months (I hope) and she won't have to deal with it for 10 more years.

Old 02-14-18, 01:13 AM
Adding to my comments in post #2, the other day I looked at the claims disposition on my Medicare Advantage plan. The "administrative costs" portion of the lab fees was flat out denied and the disposition stated that I owed nothing. That tells me that Medicare does not allow such additional fees and the lab sending me a statement requesting payment is nothing more than hoping I don't know that the fees are not allowable.

I wonder how many people DO pay under these circumstances.

Search this Thread