single post advertising

Old 02-21-18, 05:06 AM
Thumbs down single post advertising

I've noticed as of recent a number of single posters who are advertising product or services and in no way are contributing to the forum.

It seems to me that it should an easy bit of programing to prevent this type of posting that just takes up space and time. If certain words can be scanned and stared (*) or blocked why can't it be done with blatant advertising?

And yet we can't have personal avatars.

BTW...I did send a plea to the webmaster to asking for personal avatars. maybe if we start a thread with all of us "signing" it we can get action. Lots of noise from lots or people most often gets a re-action. (maybe)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-18, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
That's why you see us moderators crawling all through the forum. It's hard for a computer to recognize spam. There is such a variety of questions and many people use poor grammar or don't spell very well which makes it hard for a program to determine what's a legitimate question and what is someone creating spam that looks legitimate. Someone simply registering and posting a link to their product is easy to spot but spammers have gotten more sophisticated than that.

Old 02-21-18, 08:06 AM
Thumbs up

That's why you see us moderators crawling all through the forum.
And I have to say that I think you are doing a great job as I have not seen any such advertising posts. May be their subject lines are not interesting enough for me to click on them. Cheers & beers!

Old 02-21-18, 08:18 AM
As a moderator the first thing I do is go into the Administrator Control Panel and review all the new members looking for those that put a link to something in their profile. Most "normal" people don't put a link to a webpage in their profile--esp. on the first day. Then I look at the email address for random strings of characters. Most humans seem to like to choose an email address made up of actual words. THEN I go look at their first post to see if it's SPAM. There are less new members than new posts so I find it a little easier to moderate new members rather than try to read all posts. Doesn't catch them all--even the bots are getting clever lately.

If the mods here don't have access to the Control Panel then I pity your task ;-)

Old 02-21-18, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
We have access to everything we need but you need to remember the traffic on DIY is tremendous. We have removed thousands of bogus posts and members.

It's only "single post" because that is usually all you see before one of us removes the post/spammer.

Old 02-21-18, 10:07 AM
If you sort the member list by join date the site is averaging about 6 new members per day. About 100 posts per day. But of course we can't see how many get deleted.
You guys do a great job. It's rare that I see a SPAM post and when I do it's usually gone by the time I get to the bottom of one page of New Posts.

Old 02-21-18, 10:40 AM
I have also say you guys do great job. I did not realize what you have to do each day. I think I see the spams only because I get up 6:00am and on the forum almost everyday.

Old 02-21-18, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
I think we do a pretty good job of keeping this site spam free! The ones that post in the middle of the night are from other countries and I guess most of us are sleeping, so these may take a bit longer to get to. Otherwise I don't think most people ever even see spam.

As for the personal avatars, it was decided a long time ago that they wouldn't be allowed. There was a reason tho I forget why. Won't do any good to email the webmaster about it tho.

Old 02-21-18, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
One frustrating thing when you are just a forum topic moderator is that you can only remove spam from your particular forum. You might see spam in other forums but it takes a moderator with a higher level of access to do anything about it. So at times the spam (and the spammer) are there longer.

Old 02-21-18, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, if someone (Becky...lol) would recruit a few more Mods from the West Coast, you'd probably see even less. I normally don't go to bed til around 2-3AM so my last look might be 30 min before that. East coast is pretty well covered but we're a bit deficient in a lot of the flyover States and West

Old 02-21-18, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Spammers are getting better and better. One trick is they sign up to the forum and try to make a number "legitimate" posts before advertising. We have to carefully study their English and the content of their posts. Often it's easy to tell that they are just trying to build their post count. For example a new member will post in a thread that has been dead for months and just give superficial information. A look into their account shows that they have just signed up and quickly made several useless "fluffy" posts.

Another trick is someone will sign up and then post a "question" about this product, company or webpage. It's somewhat obvious that they are simply posting the question to get you to go to their link.

When searching for spam we always have to be careful not to throw out legitimate people who are not native English speakers or those who can't type well. Just because someone doesn't know the right words or can't spell doesn't make them a spammer. Still, after a while it's relatively easy to separate spam out by the "smell" test.

Old 02-21-18, 11:22 PM
Like Vic, I am often cruising the site in the wee hours. I don't find a lot of spam but when I do I send the notification. It rarely lasts even fifteen minutes so the moderators are definitely on top of things in this respect.

Being a (non active) member of several other forums I have seen some rather risque avatars. While I would like to have my very own avatar I well understand the reasoning behind the current policy.

Old 02-23-18, 09:40 AM
I notice a lot of aparently legal bathing suit adds. I X them off, report them as Not interested, Google says we will try to not to show
it again, but there are back on in minutes. Let them show hardware, or tools.
Sid

Old 02-23-18, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
The ads you see are not the same as a post with advertising. The ads you see are paid for, where spam in posts are not.

Old 02-23-18, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Moderators can do something about forum members and their posts. The banners and advertising are something totally different and out of our control.

Old 02-23-18, 10:28 AM
Otherwise I don't think most people ever even see spam.

I do. After reading this yesterday I had to make me a Denver.

Name:  SPAM.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  33.2 KB

This forum is an every morning thing for me and I see very little "spam" posts. Another good thing is how courteous everyone is unlike another forum I occasionally look at.