home health

Old 02-22-18, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
home health

We just got a call concerning a wheelchair for my wife's brother. They claim they can't deliver it until next week but he has to be out of rehab by 10AM tomorrow. They've known all week that he was going to be discharged and should have had plenty of time to take care of it. He can't put any weight on the leg with the broke kneecap! Not sure how we'd be able to get him from the car to his apartment - about 25' without a wheelchair.

I don't even understand why they are sending him home as they have to redo the surgery on tuesday. They claim he can't go from rehab to the hospital - he has to go home first

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-18, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Thank the insurance companies. Many medical decisions are no longer made by doctors. It's now up to high paid CEOs wanting to maximize profits.

Old 02-22-18, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I know what you mean. With a kneecap split in two I'd have thought they would have done a knee replacement but I guess medicare doesn't pay enough for that.

Old 02-22-18, 05:32 PM
Check Goodwill or Am-vets. They very often have wheel chairs on the cheap. You can always re-donate it back.

Old 02-22-18, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
With a kneecap split in two I'd have thought they would have done a knee replacement but I guess medicare doesn't pay enough for that.
Actually, 2 different surgeons have told me that repair is almost always preferable to replacement if at all possible. If it was just the patella, far better to wire it and let it heal. Much less invasive, no chance for rejection or mis-installation, etc.

I've asked 2 surgeons about my knees, having been told by one Navy ortho doc (who was not a surgeon) I'd probably need replacements in 10-15 years because of how bad they were. Both said you're far to young to need it and they only last about 20 years. You'd need it done twice and are far better off keeping the OE as long as you possibly can. So, here I am 20 yrs later, almost 60, with no knee problems and none expected in the foreseeable future. Of course, I never layed carpet/flooring or climbed ladders for a living either.

Old 02-23-18, 12:26 AM
What the other guys have stated. In order to be re-admitted to the hospital you MUST go home first, that is an insurance / Medicare / Hospital requirement.

Many pharmacies rent crutches, walkers and wheelchairs for short to medium term periods. If your BIL is a veteran then the VA will help although the timing in this particular situation really sucks.

When I was in the hospital last year they really tried to get me into a rehab facility but couldn't find one that would take me. I don't know if it was my extreme weight or the number of problems I had but they finally did find a place and then found out my Medicare Advantage plan wouldn't pay for rehab but would pay for home health care. At that point I was discharged to my home.

I needed a walker when discharged and the company that was first going to supply the walker absolutely demanded the non-Medicare (20%) payment before they would release the walker to my sister. They called me (in the hospital) demanding I give them a credit card number but having remembered the hospital rules concerning bringing no valuable (including cash or credit cards) I couldn't possibly give them a number. The hospital social worker called another provider and tried to get them to "sell" the walker to the hospital and have my sister pick it up but when she got there they stated they did not have an agreement with my insurance and demanded full payment at delivery. I asked her to just buy the damn thing and I would reimburse her.

Then, some months later I received a telephone message from this company stating they needed to know who to reimburse for the walker. I should have returned the call but didn't. After the first of this year I received a bill from this company demanding full payment for the walker and they wanted it in ten days or they would turn it over to a collection agency. I haven't heard anything since.

Bottom line, you need to watch these "medical equipment providers" like a hawk watches a rabbit. Keep any and all paperwork and don't let them try to bully you into paying multiple times. The equipment is generally overpriced as it is and these jerks, for the most part, don't care a whit about you but are just after every cent they can get.

Old 02-23-18, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He has already been approved for a wheelchair. If I understand correctly there is a monthly fee and if he keeps it a full year it becomes his. My wife pitched a fit with the home health care provider on the phone, she might pitch another one when we get to rehab at 9:30 this morning. Hopefully someone will get it figured out!

Vic, good to know more about replacement knees versus repair. I just assumed a kneecap split in two would be a hard thing to heal. They are going to put him in a plaster cast after surgery along with a plate instead of just screws so hopefully it will work this time. I know he's bummed out that it sets back his recovery time a couple of weeks. Fortunately his apartment is handicap accessible.

Old 02-23-18, 06:41 AM
Patella Repair

Here's a YouTube video showing the process for repairing a broken patella. It's much simpler and safer than a knee replacement.

Vic - I had knee "problems" while I was in the Navy. Lots of stiffness and pain to where I had a difficult time running. I often wondered if it was due to climbing ladders in rough seas. You know, the times when you suddenly weigh 400# going up or down a ladder. I was told that sooner or later I would probably need knee replacements. The Dr recommended that I put it off as long as possible. That was more than 30 years ago. I'm in my 70's now and I walk 4 miles daily w/o knee pain. Go figure.

Old 02-23-18, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting video

Before they released him from rehab this morning they removed the velcro brace and cleaned the wound. It looked like the screw heads were poking up under the skin. I don't know if they'd cross tied the screws like in the video or not but they say the split has opened up significantly so tuesday they will undo what they did, install a plate and more screws.

I don't know if it was the fit my wife pitched on the phone last night or if rehab got it taken care of but before he was ready to be released from rehab his wheelchair showed up. It was delivered by an office worker. He said he didn't normally deliver but was glad to get out of the office.

Now if we can just find out when on tuesday his surgery will be! The woman that is supposed to tell us called yesterday and left a message. My wife has called her multiple times [yesterday afternoon and today] and only gets her voicemail. The hospital says - you have to talk to her. If we can't find out until monday it might be too late for my wife to rearrange her work schedule.

I know I didn't do any real work today but man I'm worn out!

Old 02-23-18, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wow, now the hospital called my wife wanting to know how her brother intends to pay for his first surgery before they do the second one

Old 02-26-18, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We finally found out this afternoon that his surgery will be at 8:30am tomorrow. My wife happened to think that he was given no pre surgery instructions. Doctor won't return her call, his nurse said it would be best to call back in the morning. She finally got to talk to a doctor at the hospital that said he'd need to quit taking his warfrin 7 days before surgery. He's not had it today but ...... I guess will find out tomorrow morning if they will do the surgery.

Old 02-27-18, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
and the saga continues

Since no one mentioned he needed to stop his warfrin - they cancelled the surgery. Got the call at 7:15pm last night. They wanted to know why we didn't follow the pre surgery instructions we were never given My wife called the surgeon this morning as instructed by the hospital and he said he'd no longer be his doctor. I guess he got mad because the surgery was cancelled. So now my wife has to take him to his doctor tomorrow afternoon to see what they will do about his blood thinner. I won't be able to help because I have a doctor's appointment at the same time. Then next week he gets to see a new surgeon in a nearby town to see what the new plan is.

Old 02-28-18, 10:39 AM
Oh boy, when it rains it pours. I had to look up warfarin, sounds like you have to be very careful taking that stuff. I don't know but you'd sure think they would be damn sure he wasn't given any knowing they had to do another surgery.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20047592

Good luck.

Old 02-28-18, 10:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, somebody dropped the ball but we are getting the blame for it. My wife knows it should have been stopped [they seemed clueless until she asked] but the doctor/nurse should have made sure we knew - a week ago.

It's really been a hectic couple of months, I hope we get all this crap behind us and see some smooth sailing for the rest of the year!

Old 02-28-18, 11:21 AM
If the doc and his staff couldn't communicate the need to stop the Warfarin, maybe a change in doc is for the best anyway. I really hate the idea of a forgetful surgeon working on me. Blessings in disguise?

Old 02-28-18, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe so but the sad part is the longer the surgery is put off the longer it will take to heal.
Some good news - his regular doc was able to move up the surgeon initial visit to tomorrow.

Old 03-01-18, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are there only a few competent people left in the medical profession? Her brother's regular doctor had his surgeon appointment moved up to thursday so he wouldn't have to wait until next tuesday. When they got there they were told that appointment wasn't until next thursday. How is moving an appointment 2 days later in the month speeding things up??

Old 03-01-18, 01:23 PM
While you are discussing doctors on my last visit they did a blood test. 2 days later I get a letter saying they were happy my A1c dropped a bit from 7.7 down to 7.5, however she would like to get it lower so wants me to take 2 Metformin pills per day instead of just one. Hmmm, I guess she forgot she took me off of Metformin 4 months ago and put me on Glipizide. The other kicker is I fell off the low carb wagon several months ago that was helping my blood sugar, just couldn't find anything I enjoyed eating besides bread and pasta. I expected the A1c to be a disaster. I know the A1c is a long term indicator but my blood sugar reading have been terrible for at least 6 months.

I've already been assigned to a new doctor as my current one is headed to Boston end of this month. Next appointment should be interesting and I'm not going back to Metformin.

Rant over.
Bud

Old 03-09-18, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This morning they redid the surgery on his knee. The first surgeon just used 2 screws, no wire. The new surgeon installed 2 straps [he called them plates but they were narrow according to his drawings] a bunch of screws along with crisscrossed wire - sounds like a much better repair!

This was all done at a different hospital in another town. Big difference between the 2 hospitals! They gave you updates along the way instead of just letting you know when it was over. They also had a girl with a cart that came around every hour or so passing out snacks, coffee and tea. Apparently it was sponsored by various local churches.

While we were in the surgery waiting room my wife got a call from the home nurse stating she was at her brother's apartment and couldn't get him to answer the door. Don't any of these nurses and agencys talk to each other ??