Work Fustrations

Old 05-03-18, 05:17 PM
Work Fustrations

I really and truly like my work as an associate for a home improvement store. I'll even put in many hours of my own time. use my own tools and make things at home for work use.

But sometimes the bureaucracy and upper management can turn my screws. Today was one of those days.

This morning I get a nasty gram from the head office about sending paper work to them in a certain order. What burns my trousers is the fact that everything is on computer and there is no reason to print any paper work what so ever! We waste more time shuffling paper than actual work. So it seems. It's my opinion that the head office personnel are a combination of old habits, afraid of computers and unwilling to learn. I mention this to my store manager, and he also got a nasty gram about the way he handled a refund. No money was lost and more was spent and good will was extended to the customer. But because of the tame lag involved he did not match the paper work to the receipts. But here's the best part. The home office told him what receipts had to be matched. DUH! So they already had the info and knew what it was about. Go figure.

My description of my working there is summed up this way..."On most days I can't believe they pay to work here, but there are some days that they damn well better pay me."

OK, rant over, I feel better.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 05:40 PM
Where I work the overpaid corporate big brains create paperwork (LOTS of it) that can't be filled out online. You print it, fill out what's needed, check the boxes... Then scan it on the copier, save to a shared directory, then attach it to an email to return it.

SO much wasted man-hours for ALL employees to use this inefficient method instead of the person who created the form spending the few extra minutes to do it right.

Old 05-03-18, 05:41 PM
Main reason why I'm self employed.
I worked for a company that had a new to them computer, I could sit at my desk talking to the customer and enter there needs on "scratch pad" I could then take that info and convert it to a quote at the touch of a button. The customer would then send me a PO # and I would hit another button converting it to an order and be shipped that day.
The company wanted me to hand write the order, hand it to the sales secretary and she would type it up and come back to me a day later asking me to check it for errors, then go through her rolodex and fax the info to the customer.
Most often by then I'd lost the order.
I could just hit CV and have the customers info on screen, nope they wanted me to write a written request for the info and once again it had to go through channels and wait an hour for a reply, once loosing another sale.

Old 05-03-18, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
When I worked for Home Depot they had a weird DOS like version of windows for ordering. We are talking all caps no mouse all entries a code number.

Somethings didn't even seem logical. To order a garage door opener with install for instance you had to go in and do an install of a garage door with opener then at the end remove the garage door.

Worse there was no real training on how to use the system and I was the only one in my department so no one to show me. If I asked an assistant manager for help he'd just tell me to get the service desk to do it and they would chew me out for not knowing how to do my job.

At least I understood why the guy who was working in the department for the first two weeks I was there told me don't even try. Just tell them it isn't available if you need to use the computer to do it.

Old 05-03-18, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
I feel your pain Norm. When I worked at HD (I did say WORKED...past tense). I became the trouble shooter for millwork (as well as a few other jobs) and would often go out to take a look at/fix job complaints on my lunch hour (by choice)...often running through it.
I'd come back, fill out the time clock change slips, get them signed and turn them in to get paid for time (other than my lunch time) and mileage. After about 3 months, the Dept head said he needed to talk to me and actually wrote me up for having so many "manual corrections" to my hours, even though he (and the managers) knew the deal. They said they HAD to because District was PO'd, because THEY got a nastygram from Regional. Instead of them taking the heat, they just pushed it down hill. They said it wouldn't affect anything on my evals or pay, but I told 'em to find a new pony for their show, I wasn't playin' anymore. From then on, unless it was a hottie who came to me directly, no more freebies.

So the next year when the garden sprinklers froze because they hadn't been drained correctly (like I had written out for them the year before when I fixed the splits!), they had to call maintenance and drag hoses all over the place instead of being able to hook up to any of the 10 or so spigots.

Old 05-03-18, 07:34 PM
Misery loves company. At least I'm not the only one experiencing this kind of thing. At least my immediate managers understand and we all get along real well. Thanks for listening.

Old 05-04-18, 02:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I worked for Sears for 45 years before I retired, Watched upper management drag co. down from a the top company to what it is now. Glad I don't have anything left i n Co. Went to shop to visit the other day and didn't know anybody there.

Old 05-04-18, 03:32 AM
Group Moderator
The home depot did not assign you to the same time schedule every week. Sometimes you worked till 10pm and then had to come back by 6 AM. No consistency to when your days off were either.You could never really plan time off because the schedule each week was often not posted till a day or two before it began. Worse they might keep you an hour or two after closing. Worse they didn't pay overtime. Instead you were expected to take a long enough lunch to cancel out the over time.

One of the happiest day of my life when I told a smug assistant manager to take the job and shove it.

Old 05-04-18, 04:02 AM
Worse they didn't pay overtime. Instead you were expected to take a long enough lunch to cancel out the over time.
It doesn't bother me, but God forbid if I go over 40 hours in spite that I might spend an extra half hour helping a customer.

They've instituted a quarterly Sunday evening meeting after store hours. I refuse to attend (Law says they can't make me.) For those that do attend must subtract those hours from the regular work week. But still expect to complete full weeks worth of work. And if we are scheduled to work a typical holiday we get time and half. But we must reduce our hours for the rest of the week to come in at less that 40, thereby effectively cancelling any overtime pay. Good thing I have fun at my job and the managers are great people.

Old 05-04-18, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
been there done that about scheduling . Had one manager who took the last week schedule and copied it. Never asked part timers about there schedule for school or work so come some days nobody would be there. When they called me in 3 Sundays in a row. I got pissed and took over the schedule.

Old 05-04-18, 06:51 AM
In order to add a vendor to the company Supplier List it must first fill out several forms including affidavits that they do not employ children or traffic in human slavery.

We've had a couple take such offense they removed themselves from consideration.

I can't believe we've gotten to this level of nonsense.

Old 05-04-18, 08:50 AM
The sad thing about Ray's garage door opener story is, I've dealt with silliness like that for so long, that it actually seems sort of logical to me. Like ordering a BLT with no bacon, lettuce, or tomato, just to get a slice of toast.

Scheduling nonsense is my pet peeve though. I can't stand when a part-time job is advertised as "flexible schedule," but what they really mean is, "you must be flexible around our schedule." Sorry, but if I'm looking for a part-time job, that means I have other commitments that demand my full-time attention.