competent government

Old 10-22-18, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
competent government

I know, that's an oxymoron.

Our property tax bills came today. Previously each parcel got it's own envelope but today we got 2 envelopes; 1 was my son's vacant parcel across the road, the other envelope contained the tax bill for 3 parcels, mine, the property my wife just sold and mark jr's other parcel that he lives on. Each bill was for a different name and address. All 4 parcels are on the same road and are sent to my address. You'd think they'd at least sort them by owner names. I almost forwarded the sold parcel's envelope to the new owner, good thing I opened it up first!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-18, 03:16 PM
I have just the opposite gripe. Our small under ten acre cabin/land is divided into 3 parcels. We get three tax bills. It's all for the same owner and same mailing address. Lots of wasted paper. My wife decides to pay the tax bills in three different envelopes. In case they don't recognize the three payment being sent in one envelope.

Old 10-23-18, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Combining bills with the same owner name and address makes sense to me but putting multiple bills with different owners/addresses doesn't. Even though we all have the last name how do they know we are on speaking terms? What really got me is mark jr's 2 parcels - 1 was sent addressed to him and the other in the envelope addressed to my wife.

Old 10-23-18, 05:18 AM
It does sound crazy. I think I would chalk this up to clerical error. But I would also alert the county tax office about the distinction.

Old 10-23-18, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yrs ago it took our local tax assessor's office a year to update their records When my wife sold that parcel down the road they said at closing the tax bill would come to the new owners. I was skeptical but thought maybe with everything being computerized now it had gotten better. The property was sold mid summer but my wife is still listed as the owner along with the last time the property was sold being a couple of years ago [when she bought it]

If the tax bill for all 4 parcels had come in one envelope I wouldn't have questioned it but previously it had always been separate envelopes for each parcel and to divide up my son's bills like that just doesn't make sense ..... but then I guess government business isn't suppose to make sense