Snowthrower took it's last dump

Old 01-21-19, 12:29 PM
Snowthrower took it's last dump

Looks like I had my last snow blower use this afternoon. Seems the transmission broke away again. Just barely got it back into the garage. I've rebuilt that thing three times I think. I'm done with it.

So now I begin the job of looking for a new unit. I know it won't be an Ariens. I wonder if Tractor Supply has any decent brands.Of course I think their all made by MTD.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-19, 12:57 PM
Anybody want to comment between these two units
:

Husqvarna ST224 from Lowers

OR

CubCadet 31BM53TR709 from Tractor Supply

Both $800.00

Old 01-21-19, 02:23 PM
Bought the Cub Cadet!
Wife said don't fool around just get it. Went to Lowes to look at the Husqvarna. Told her I wanted to look at the Cub at a local dealer near us (won't buy this type of thing from Tractor Supply). The Cub appeared to be a little better built and it had a few nicer bells and whistles. And they threw in free delivery for tomorrow.
He clearly told me it's a MTD machine, but they do service them and not many of them come back for service. I asked to see the comparable Arien's of that size. $100 bucs more and I was not impressed. I told him what I didn't like about the Ariens and he tended to agree with me.
I gave up the heated handles from the Husqvarna , but gained the "power" steering on the Cub. Overall I think I bought the better machine for the price. But they are all cheap and not worth the price. I figure in another 5 years I'll nee another one.

Old 01-22-19, 05:51 AM
I believe all the units discussed above use the spinning disc/driven wheel type of transmission. I have an Ariens with this type of drive for over 30 years. I use it for snow blowing and lawn mowing (with an attachment change). I have never changed the spinning disc or driven wheel once. I live in New England with a fair amount of snowfall. Could it be you are always stressing the driven wheel by too great of a forward speed versus blower discharge (related to engine RPM)? Is the driven wheel release linkage adjustment allowing full pressure when driven wheel is in contact with the spinning disc?

Old 01-22-19, 10:05 AM
I replaced my old snow blower a couple of years ago. Features that my new one has that I would not do without -
Electric start
Joystick electric chute control - direction and pitch
Power steering
3 stage

Features that I think are a waste of money -
Hand heaters not warm enough to matter
Headlight

Old 01-22-19, 03:39 PM
Could it be you are always stressing the driven wheel by too great of a forward speed versus blower discharge (related to engine RPM)? Is the driven wheel release linkage adjustment allowing full pressure when driven wheel is in contact with the spinning disc?
Beelzebob,
I understand what you're saying, but that is not the case. I bought this unit back in 2001. So I've gotten nearly 20 years use out of it. The problem with this particular model was that it was poorly designed and drive transmission problems are typical. I rebuilt it three time on this machine and once on my son's machine of the same model. The problem was that the drive shafts were attached to the sheet metal frame buy nothing more than detentes to hold them in place. No brackets. As a result wear and tear elongated and deformed the small metal extension holding the gear shafts in place. I wrote about this several times in past years about this unit on this forum. Don't know if other Ariens machines were or are built this way, but it left a sour taste in my mouth concerning Arien's products.

CW,
I pretty much have to agree with your assessment on today's snow throwers. Never once did I need to use the electric start, but it felt good to know I had it. However, I will make use of the "power" steering feature that allows free wheeling on one or both wheels. I have some tight corners to maneuver when trying to store in garage and summer storage.