Always On Friday

Old 03-03-19, 04:12 AM
Always On Friday

Many years ago my Coleman furnace started chirping then quit so I thought nothing of it till my smoke alarm went off... burnt up blower motor.

Well...... noonish Friday I hear the chirp again, motor temp 194. Seeing I've paid the gas company a zillion dollars over the years for my maintenance agreement I give them a call. He takes a look, "we don't have that motor".

After a few calls he says they'll ship the motor today, be at your house Monday via UPS then give me a call.

So, for the last two nights and again tonight I have to keep turning the thermostat down if the furnace comes on too soon, 40-50 minutes is okay, motor temp ~130. Couple electric heaters help, balmy 57 in here now.

Come on sun, I need some sleep.

-18.8 F right now doesn't help. Only on friday.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-19, 04:31 AM
Blower motor on my oil furnace slowed and stopped. My service guy replaced it and i said, leave the old one. Could barely turn the shaft by hand. From my many yeats of servicing office machines I have lubricated those shafts and restored the motors for years of service. looked and no oil ports so applied a quality light weight oil to the shaft and allowed gravity to work it in. Within a minute or so that motor was spinning like new. I keep it as a spare and ultimately will use it on my belt grinder that has a dead motor.

I used an IBM oil specific for motors but a spray type oil (not WD 40) might free it up until the tech arrives. -18 is a bit on the cold side.

Bud

Old 03-03-19, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately a free spining motor does not mean it's ok. With squirrel cage blowers the weight of the wheel hanging on one end of the motor wears the bearing. As soon as it gets hot.... it seizes.

Old 03-03-19, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
My Friday disaster was finding out that the last 2 corner trim pieces (for the Onyx shower that I was installing) were the wrong finish, so instead of completing the project now I have to wait for them to FedEx the pieces out to me. Which is going to hose my schedule for next week. Grrrr...

Old 03-03-19, 12:42 PM
... but a spray type oil (not WD 40) might free it up until the tech arrives.
This must be a different type motor, it spins just fine.

With squirrel cage blowers the weight of the wheel hanging on one end of the motor wears the bearing. As soon as it gets hot.... it seizes.
Okay, he didn't mention "bearing" but he did say something about the short 4" motor and big 9" cage. Also said take the door off and turn the thermostat down. I'm hoping it'll make another 24 hours.

Other than it being a Friday I guess I can't complain too much, original motor lasted 15 years and this one just a hair short of 15.

Thanks guys

Old 03-05-19, 06:51 PM
Goodnight Irene

Motor arrived 2ish Monday, gas guy came and had it installed by 4 after a little tinkering around. I've never been so relieved. With two nights around twenty below all I could think of is what do I do if it seizes up.

He gave me the motor saying it's unrepairable (why isn't that a word?) and with the cage off it is a little hard to turn. I can't wait till it warms up so I can take it to the garage and plug it in and see what happens. What will the bearing temp be before it quits... 300 ?

Well, for the first time in a long time I slept 10 hours last night and right now I feel like I'll do that again tonight.

Never fear, spring is coming... eventually.

Old 03-05-19, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
If you plan on staying there for a few years, and that part is not too expensive, it might be a good idea to buy a spare to have on hand. It sounds like that is a common part to fail.

BTW, my dad's place has a Coleman furnace. Is it the main blower motor or the draft inducer motor?

Old 03-05-19, 07:55 PM
BTW, my dad's place has a Coleman furnace. Is it the main blower motor or the draft inducer motor?
Main blower motor. This is an old furnace so just the blower, gas valve and thermocouple.

If you plan on staying there for a few years, and that part is not too expensive, it might be a good idea to buy a spare to have on hand.
After last weekend that is a great idea, thank you. Just looked it up, $98. I'll check my book tomorrow for part number then I'll order it.

If you plan on staying there for a few years...
Hmmm... last two motors lasted 15 years each so I'll be 82. Yes, I will be here a few more years and then some.