linoleum/vinyl?/tile removal

Old 07-28-02, 11:40 PM
jimtracy2
Visiting Guest
Unhappy linoleum/vinyl?/tile removal

Old linoleum or vinyl floor over even older floor tiles with black tar like substance holding tiles down on a wood sub-floor. Any suggestions as to where to start with removal and where to go from there would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 05:55 AM
cassidl
Visiting Guest
I have the old tile floors with the tar like substance over hardwood floors. I have been removing them using a chisel and mallet for lifting and a heat gun when this does not work. You are then still left with a lot of the substance on the floor but a sander, scrapper and lots of elbow grease then helps.
( use the heat gun cautiously, as this is horrid stuff when warm)

Old 08-03-02, 06:54 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
removing black mastic

Both Sentinel products and Dumond chemicals have black mastic removers for your job.

Old 08-11-02, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's really bad, that black mastic and the tiles it was holding, contain asbestos! You definitely don't wan't to create dust particles!

Old 08-24-02, 12:18 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
I've been reading these posts and have some questions about asbestos from anyone who might know. CDW mentioned that the old mastic and the true linoleum had asbestos in them. I've been hearing some conflicting things about what does and does not have asbestos. I, too, have some real old (1950's) linoleum adhered to oak floor boards in the kitchen, with another layer of older (1970's) vinyl on top of that. I know that the vinyl circa 1970's has asbestos backing, and I don't want to tear that up off the old linoleum separately. I've also been told that the really old linoleum does not contain asbestos, just linseed oil, cork and some other less threatening products. Anyone know if this is true? If so, would it be safe to cut through the two layers with a utility blade (to prevent dust) and scrape up both layers, thereby only affecting the old bottom layer? Thanks.