base substance for laying tile squares

Old 11-01-02, 05:50 PM
oz-zie757
Visiting Guest
Question base substance for laying tile squares

Weeks ago I read a comment that, now that I need it (naturally), I can't find. . .

I'm about to enlarge an area of tile-squares by adding one additional row of squares. All are atop a concrete basement rec room floor that was painted with concrete-sealant paint a number of years ago. When I do this, I hope to incorporate the suggested use of a base substance that, when used in conjunction with the tile's glue, would bond like contact cement according to the commentor. Anyone know what that substance is?

Thanks for ALL the great advice.

Oz-zie

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-02, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That would be Vinyl Composite Tile (VCT) adhesive
Called clear spread. (Henry's 430 adhesive) It isn't clear when you spread it. It clears out and is translucent after you let it sit for about an hour and gets tacky. You have 24 hours to set tile. For what you want to do, use a paint roller to apply the adhesive and use a fan to speed flash off to clear the adhesive out.

This is so you can pop lines and start spreading adhesive. The line will appear after the adhesive has cleared out and ready to go.

Never set the tiles into wet VCT adhesive, or it will act as if you put the lid back on the glue bucket, and now it won't dry and you will have a black gooky mess at the tile seams as the glue emulsifies.