Removing vinyl flooring from concrete

Old 11-11-02, 07:39 PM
LadyMarian
Visiting Guest
Question Removing vinyl flooring from concrete

I am trying to remove old vinyl flooring from the concrete floor of my garage (so I can put down some new vinyl flooring). I read somewhere that I could heat the flooring up with a hair dryer on high and then use a putty knife to peel it off. This didn't work. So I ended up pulling on it and of course just removed the upper plastic layer, leaving an ugly paper backing, pretty much welded to the floor. Will wood stripper remove this stuff? Is there special vinyl flooring stripper?

I tried Goo Gone but it didn't make a dent in it.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-02, 05:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go here and look at the tool you need. This is a direct link. Just copy and paste it to a browser window. They quit hyperlinking here because someone really abused the board.

toolsforfloors.com/images_prod/Floor%20-%20Wall%20Scrapers%20b.jpg

Damp mop the felt layer and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then damp mop again and immediately get after it with the floor scrapers. The moisture softens the felt paper and the adhesive.(Don't attempt this over a wood subfloor)

DO NOT USE CHEMICALS!!!! It will cause your new flooring to debond, and become a complete failure later.

Old 11-13-02, 09:34 AM
LadyMarian
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Removing vinyl flooring from concrete

Thanks! I'll try it!
Would hot/warm water be most effective?

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-02, 05:30 PM
LadyMarian
Visiting Guest
No Luck

Even with boiling water and the special tools, after 5 hours of work I was unable to clear more than some small patches of concrete. I've decided to put the new linoleum over the old. I am going to go and get some of that 'self-leveller' stuff that someone mentioned in another post.

Any recommendations on a brand for that?

Thanks!

P.S. Other people might have more luck with this, but due to an injury I don't have full strength in my hands/arms.

Old 11-17-02, 06:56 PM
I didn't say it was going to be easy. Just easier then scraping with it dry.

Read the directions on the self leveler real good!!! Especially the part about a clean concrete subfloor. So break out hose scrapers again.

Once you get an area started, don't try and get a full scraper blade width bite into the vinyl backing. Go at an angle while flipping the scraper over frequently. If your not capable of scraping due to an injury, I'd suggest hiring a handyman/laborer to come scrape your floor up.

Another note: When you bought the scraper, they come with the blade turned around so you won't cut yourself. Did you loosen the screws and flip the blade over to expose the razor edge that you can shave with if you desired??? Very common DIY mistake!

Old 11-17-02, 08:30 PM
LadyMarian
Visiting Guest
Talking *chuckle*

I can see making that mistake, but no. Actually I got the tool from a friend and it already had the blade ready. Perhaps I need to buy a new blade... I will visit my friendly hardware man again.
Thanks for saving me from buying stuff that wouldn't answer the problem.

Old 11-18-02, 07:03 AM
Oh, by all means get a small 5 pack of NEW blades. A dull blade is like trying to scrap with a butter knife.

If this scraper your using is the big 8" stand-up model they don't have the leverage to scrape with any results.

Old 11-18-02, 08:25 AM
LadyMarian
Visiting Guest
scrapers

Actually I have both, a short one with a replacable blade (which I will replace tonight) and a long one that is kinda like a flat shovel. The flat shovel one is pretty much worthless. Hopefully the short one will work once the blade is changed.

Any plans on opening a branch office in Florida soon?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: