Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Vinyl Flooring- Can u repair loose edges and a seam before laying down new vinyl?

Vinyl Flooring- Can u repair loose edges and a seam before laying down new vinyl?

Old 01-22-03, 10:11 PM
seattleoconnor
Visiting Guest

1st Problem- The current vinyl in the kitchen is only two years old. The vinyl is loose about one inch from the floor where it meets the carpet. Can I just use an adhesive, and a 2x4 with pressure to repair this flaw? Once done, can I lay down new vinyl.

2nd Problem- The vinyl in one of the bathrooms has a seam that is comming up about 1.4 of an inch. Can I just use an adhesive to repair the seam the same way before new vinyl is installed?

Or would it just be better to unstall an underlayment?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-03, 03:45 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
You can cut out the loose areas, and scim coat the whole floor with feather finish. You might have to do it twice to get everything level. Then you should be good to go.

Old 01-23-03, 04:24 PM
seattleoconnor
Visiting Guest
Vinyl flooring repair suggestions...

Thank you for the follow up email. I was wondering if you could ask you some additional questions...

The floor is relatively new. I would prefer to keep it, rather than replace it. The vinyl and the existing underlayment is in excellent condition. Unless I dont have to replace it, could I just put adhesive underneath the areas that have loosened over the last two years? In the future, if I decide to cover the floor would it be a problem as long as the adhesive around the edges have not deteriorated? What do you think?

The guys at Home Depot say to just put some liquid nails down as the adhesive, with lots of pressure until it dries at the seam and where the vinyl meets the carpet. They then said to just cover it eventually with a new vinyl that does not have a seam, so you wont have this problem again. Any further suggestions, any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-24-03, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The guys at Home Depot are idiots! Try that stuff as a contractor and the law suit will ensue.

The original vinyl is lifting... Is it really a good substrate to go over? Are you sure the original isn't a perimeter glue installation? I wouldn't install over a perimeter glue.

Now to the next thing. You are going to need to skim coat / emboss the original vinyl. Not only for pattern telegraphing, but because of a little known problem called Plasticizer Migration. Plasticizers from the wear layer on the original vinyl can bleed to the backing of your new vinyl. Stains from the backing occur, under the wear layer, but are very visible from the top as it yellows.

Old 01-28-03, 06:02 PM
seattleoconnor
Visiting Guest
Thanks alot Perry!

I appreciate all your help!