self stick over self stick

Old 04-22-03, 05:08 PM
buddytesta
Visiting Guest
self stick over self stick

i have a vinyl self stick floor in my kitchen and i want to replace it with a vinyl self stick tile can i install it right over the old floor or do i have to stager the seems.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-03, 05:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Self stick tile

No more than two layers of vinyl flooring at a time is the usual recommendation. If you already have two layers, you should install 1/4" wood underlayment before installing your tiles. You will need to thoroughly strip floor of any wax and clean with TSP to avoid any contamination. An embossing leveler can be used to prevent the old vinyl pattern from telegraphing through the new pattern of tile flooring. A vinyl floor patch can be used to patch the seams. If existing self-stick tiles are all intact with no curling or buckling, it is possible to accomplish this project. Read the manufacturer's warranty of your new flooring. Read and follow all directions. Installing over old vinyl may void any warranty. For a successful installation, it tends to require a super smooth and clean surface. For additional tips, go to www.doityourself.com/vinylfloors and read the section about self-adhesive vinyl tiles.