Air pockets in vinyl floor

Old 05-04-03, 10:48 AM
npenn71
Visiting Guest
Air pockets in vinyl floor

I had a sheet vinyl floor installed using the full adheasive method by an individual who was attemping this for the first time (big mistake). Anyway, to make a long story short. I noticed an air pocket in the middle of the floor and would like to repair it myself. I'm thinking about making an incision in the vinyl, squirt some adheasive under the buckeled area and placing something heavy on top. Will this do the trick? The rest of the floor is set pretty solid. So lifting up the flooring is not an option. Opinions anyone??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 08:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long has the new floor been down? I need to know this to give you the right course of action.

Old 05-05-03, 05:35 AM
npenn71
Visiting Guest
The floor was installed three days ago.

Old 05-05-03, 01:36 PM
D
It is probably off gassing from the adhesive. If it does not flatten out in another week pick up a seam sealer kit for your vinyl. In a discrete area of the pattern use a needle to poke a hole all the way through the flooring to squeeze the air out of. But like I said, give it another week.

Old 05-07-03, 04:44 PM
Hypo needle it, at the same time heat the area with a blow dryer. Get it hot, poke it with the hollow needle and push the bubble out. Place a dab of super glue on the hole you made.

Old 05-08-03, 09:05 AM
npenn71
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all who replied to my post. The vinyl seems to be flatening down a bit but still is not as flat as I would like. I'll give it a few more days and see what evolves. I'll try the hypo needle suggestion but I still think I'll need to inject more glue between the floor and the vinyl. Then again I'm no expert so I really don't know. I tried the hair blower trick along with an ice pack. This new Congoleum (sp??) Ultima is not very forgiving. I'll probably need a torch or heat gun to soften it up. Anyway, I'll keep you posted

Old 05-12-03, 03:55 AM
Yes, a heat gun is more effective then a blow dryer!

The heat will reactivate the adhesive underneath.
That is unless there is no adhesive under there.

Injecting adhesive can be tricky. If you get too much it will fill the bubble and not have anywhere to flatten out. The lump will always be there now.