to use vinyl tile or not?

Old 06-18-03, 10:59 PM
rmallo
Visiting Guest
Question to use vinyl tile or not?

Hi, I'm moving into an apartment and the floor in the kitchen is really old vinyl sheet floor, that's ridiculously ugly. I would like to know if I install some vinyl tile, will it last at least three years without peeling, cracking etc.

I have heard from others that within six to eight months they had to redo their floors, has anyone had any success, or if not vinyl tile, any other inexpensive options?

Thanks a bunch!
Rebecca

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-03, 05:16 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i dont like any of the vinyl squares that are out they are junk. i f you are going to do somehting like that use a commercial flooring called v.c.t. it's bland but it holds up well all you need to do is keep it waxed

Old 06-20-03, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The vinyl needs to be down solid without any curling or lifting.(those areas can be cut out and skimcoated with a patching compound)

Clean the vinyl to remove any soil, grease, wax, or anything that could be a bond breaker. If the vinyl has an embossed pattern or texture, that will need to be skimcoated to fill in all the tiny low spots.

If these tiles you want to install are peel & stick, you are going to want to use another adhesive. The glue on the back of the tiles isn't as strong as before all adhesives went "water based"

Pop one line with red chalk(permanent chalk), making it come out a doorway or exit out of the area.

Using Henrys 430 Clear Spread VCT adhesive, and a flat trowel, same trowel used to skimcoat(unless these are not peel & stick, then a 1/16 x 1/16 notched trowel needs to be used) Fully spread the 430 adhesive over the entire area that can be completed in 24 hours.

Sit back and watch the adhesive turn from a yellow tint to a clear see through glaze. It will be tacky to the finger, but not wet and transfer to your finger. DON'T SET TILE INTO WET VCT ADHESIVE!!!!! Or you will have black gooky, sticky ooze coming from the seams for the life of the installation.

After it clears out, peel & stick. You better have it on the line! Because it isn't comming up without damage.

Good Luck!!