Glue and staples for underlayment.

Old 07-05-03, 09:29 PM
ddsalt
Visiting Guest
Question Glue and staples for underlayment.

Was on a job site last week and watched a flooring contractor installing 1/4 plywood underlayment by spreading construction adhesive and using a narrow crown air stapler with 1 1/2" long staples to attach it to the subfloor.

I have never seen it done this way before. I've always seen it nailed or screwed down, never glued and stapled. When I asked the contractor about it he just said it works better this way. Has anyone seen or done this before, and is it a better way?

Also I'm going to be replacing my kitchen vinyl this year and need to add another layer of underlayment to meet a hardwood floor. The existing underlayment is lauan and appears to be in good shape. Should I lay another layer of lauan or 5 ply underlayment over it. I just want to be sure I don't have any problems.

Old 07-06-03, 09:03 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another 5 ply will be fine.

Old 07-10-03, 06:44 PM
Cedwin
Visiting Guest
I can not see how Construction adhesive will hurt but it is not necessary.

I use staples only, they are 7/8" long and I put them every 4 inches each direction and about 2 inches apart on the joints.

Nailing underlayment is to slow and I can not understand why you would use screws.

I would use the 5 ply underlayment. If you leave the old underlayment down you may want staples longer than the 7/8".

See what the added height will do to doorways and also the dishwasher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: