installing tiles in hot weather

Old 07-16-03, 10:37 AM
Keen
Visiting Guest
installing tiles in hot weather

I read all the warnings about bringing vinyl tile to room temperature and not installing it in a cold room, but how about a hot room? It is in the 90's here and we have no air conditioning. I have a newly prepared sub floor, ready to install. When cold weather comes (my house will then be 65-75 degrees) will the tiles shrink and show bigger gaps?

Thanks,

Catherine

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 05:03 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i can't say that i have ever seen a vinyl square floor not show gaps,whatever the reason too hot ,too cold,just right i don't know they all do over time they will be less prominant in a controlled atmosphere but will over time have gaps,it's just hte nature of the beast,get it as tight as you can without causing you problems when setting and hope for the best

Old 07-16-03, 06:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
let them acclimate in the room they are to be installed in for 24 hrs.

Old 07-29-03, 09:07 AM
Keen
Visiting Guest
vinyl tile installation in the heat

Well, we installed them over the weekend. The temperature was probably 95 outside and 85 inside. I had kept the tiles in the house for over a month, so I know they were acclimated. They look great for now--I'll let you know if they gap when it gets colder. We did insulate the floor perimeter as well as the walls, so hopefully the floor won't get as cold as it did previously. (Before the remodel the kitchen had no insulation in walls or floor.)