Replacing Vinyl Flooring

Old 08-19-03, 03:48 PM
southpaw
Visiting Guest
Replacing Vinyl Flooring

I am in the process of getting bids to replace the vinyl flooring in my kitchen. The floor in front of my patio door is soft from water damage, so they will be pulling the subfloor up and replacing before putting the new vinyl down. My question is should I have all the vinyl and underlayment torn out or just put an overlayment on top of the existing vinyl. No two contractors have suggested doing it the same way.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-03, 04:27 PM
rgillespie
Visiting Guest
The "soft" part sounds water damaged and probably needs to be cut out and replaced. Whether or not the rest of the floor needs a new underlayment depends on the condition of the existing vinyl. If it's in decent condition and stuck down well, an embossing leveler can be spread over the floor to fill in the existing pattern, and the new vinyl can be adhered over the old vinyl.

With a section of the old underlayment being torn out and replaced, some extra work would need to be done around that section to feather out the edge of where the old vinyl is cut back to. New underlayment might be a little more expensive, but it would most likely eliminate the need for the extra patching.

Robert