vinyl tile cleanup after install?

Old 11-01-03, 05:56 AM
ozonetourist
Visiting Guest
vinyl tile cleanup after install?

I used everyones advice and used the henrys vct-430 adhesive with the self stick tiles. I have a bit of a mess now, how do I get the adhesive off the tiles. I bought some Krud cutter general remover. Not doing a good job with it. Is goo gone better?

Also I'm gonna get alot of feedback here from the experts...but after doing the install I do not recommend using extra adhesive on the self stick tiles. I let the henrys cure and everything and still have some loose tiles. The manufactures of the vinyl strongly dis-courage any use of extra adhesives. I wish I haven't used any now...just the self stick would of gave me a smooth floor., with no mess.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-03, 06:56 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How did the adhesive get on top of the tile? Did you let the adhesive dry until it all turned clear? Dry adhesive CAN"T come up between the tile. You can remove the glue with mineral spirits. We all gave time tested advise.

Old 11-01-03, 07:21 AM
ozonetourist
Visiting Guest
DAN,

I appreciate all your advice. It just did not work for me. I got some adhesive on the floor when I was trying to trim some pieces that were offset. I'm not an expert...and have no experience at this. I will try the mineral spirits. The floor does look awesome though. Just a little sticky some places.

Again I do appreciate your advice.

Old 11-01-03, 07:47 AM
D
No prob. Like I said just use some mineral spirits to clean the glue off the floor. Denatured alcohol works well too.

Old 11-01-03, 08:32 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
Sorry but......

....another vote for the futility of do it yourself self stick vinyl tiles.

Use mineral sprits to clean it up.

Lisa, please stick to the facts and give advice not criticizm about what you think they should've or could've done. Just tell them how to fix it, thanks floorman

Last edited by floorman; 11-01-03 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-01-03, 09:18 PM
Did you use a flat rowel or notched trowel?

You shouldn't have glue on tiles if the adhesive was aloud to set up.

The two glues combined act as contact cement!

After installation, you are suppose to roll the entire floor with a 100# flooring roller.

Loose tiles can be adhered using a heat gun.

Old 11-02-03, 11:09 AM
ozonetourist
Visiting Guest
The advisers on this forum told me to spread the adhesive with a paint roller. I don't have a hundred pound roller. I rolled it the best I can to get the air ou. You say the loose tiles can be re set with a heat gun? What kind of heat gun? I removed all the glue with mineral spirits as recommended on this forum.

Old 11-02-03, 04:13 PM
D
For a heat gun, an old blow dryer will work well and they don't really get hot enough to damage the finish of the tile. I don't even have a 100# roller. Roller or not I hope the job cleaned up well for you.

Old 11-02-03, 11:22 PM
ChuckCoffer
Visiting Guest
Cured means clear. VM&P is my favorite solvent for adhesive cleanup.(Odorless) Mineral Spirits is a close second.

Chuck.

Old 11-07-03, 09:14 PM
I wonder if you tried to force flash the adhesive with a fan, directed on the adhesive?

When using a roller, the shortest roller nap is what you want. You don't want a thick coat of glue. Just a very thin coat to prime the floor.