latex underlayment?

Old 11-09-03, 05:50 AM
Bretor
Visiting Guest
Question latex underlayment?

I am going to put down self-adhesive vinyl tiles in a mud-room/rumpus room. Used to be carpet down but that has been removed. What is underneath is 1950's tile over concrete. These tiles are on there pretty solid and are smooth. I think that the vinyl will go over them.

The problem is that, around the edges of the room, the tiles are broken from where the tackstrips were taken up. Hence the floor is uneven. I have heard that there is some epoxy type stuff that you can spread to make the floor even. What exactly is this stuff (is it latex underlayment?) and what is a good brand for that stuff?

Also, I have heard someone discredit these peel-n-stick tiles, but I think it is my only option: I need something quick, easy, and I have to do 1/2 of room at a time (can't move all the stuff in room elsewhere in house--its a long story). I understand if a true pro says this is an amateur way to go--but is there something fundamentally wrong with these. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-03, 08:31 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
what i think you are referring to is patch,get you a bag or two ardex feather finish mix as directed on the gag to the consistancy of say peanut butter for the holes ,a little looser for the skim coat,now mix a little bit to fill in the hole in the floor and allow to dry,next mix a little more and skim the floor,you need to do this to kill the pattern on the existing tile,keep as smooth as possible. Now for the tile,historicaly speaking peel and stick tile do not last long they are thin and just not a very good quality,if you choose to do this then you want to use a thin spread adheasive a s well use a 32 nd notch trowel and spread the adheasive after snapping a control line[to keep you sraight] and allow to to dry as the bucket indicates,usually it will be clear when ready and will not transfer to you're fingers when you touch it,you ALSO MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A COMMERCIAL GRADE V.CT. sorry dont mean to yell if looks are not important ,meaning that they are plain and do not have fancy patterns on them