thoughts on underlayment idea

Old 11-13-03, 06:30 AM
glyndower
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb thoughts on underlayment idea

I have a concrete floor area that is about 7' X 7'. It is an old pour and looks like it. It is very uneven. I had the thought of laying down two layers of 1/8" harboard to lessen the wavyness of the floor and then install "peel and stick" tiles on to the hardboard.

Any thoughts on this idea? I'm trying to avoid leveling the floor thru conventional methods (ie concrete).

Last edited by glyndower; 11-13-03 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-03, 12:54 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a hack job waiting to happen, I know you have good intentions, but I dont think peel n sticks works good on standard underlay, let alone hardiboard. It sounds like you will have problems down the road. I would use the conventional ways, they work well, but its work.
and use sheet vinyl.

Old 11-13-03, 01:30 PM
glyndower
Visiting Guest
info

I see I misspelled harddboard. oops. I'm not using hardiboard as an underlayment, i'm thinking of using 4x8 sheets of hardboard (the brown stuff that sparks when you you cut it, lol) It has one smooth face and one slightly rough face. The thought was to lay down one layer, cut to the size of the area, then another on top of itwith the seams running in diffeerent directions. Then apply the peel and stick.

I'm trying to avoid using thinset to level the area as there is existing tile on one side of the area and existing carpeting on the other. I'd have to make the thinset pretty thick to get a real level floor, and i'm afraid that it will make the floor too high for the existng floor coverings to join well. I'm also planning to switch to some type of hardwood flooring in the future, and this will be pulled up at that time.

Old 11-13-03, 02:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardboard is masonite. If you use it on your concrete under vinyl tile it WILL be a wavy mess inside two years,I don't care how it's fastened, it will expand and contract with heat, cold, and humidity level. You need a self leveling cement. Mix it, pour it, give it a couple days and cover it. Look at www.ardex.com and you'll find what you need and where to get it.

Old 11-14-03, 06:22 AM
glyndower
Visiting Guest
ok

Y'all convinced me I'm off to buy some thinset.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-03, 06:02 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
this is not thin set daniel was reffering to it is called ardex k-15 self leveling engineered cement pour that then use feather finish to skim the floor and make smooth, do not use thin set!