vinyl underlayment (hardi)

Old 02-06-04, 02:09 AM
RickyBoy
Visiting Guest
vinyl underlayment (hardi)

I am about to lay hardie panel underlayment over an old plywood floor in a bathroom. On top of this I was planning to lay lineoleum.
I know with ceramic tile you use the morter to fill the seams of the Hardi board, (over tape) But what do I use for lineoleum?
The glue used for lineoleum won't be enough...Right?

Will the lineoleum even work over Hardie Underlayment?

I thought about using Hydrolic cement, but thought it may crack, What about liquid nail??
Any suggestions? They WOULD be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 11:03 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Your thinking wayyy out of the box on this one if you plan on laying lino over concrete board.
I wonder how anyone would know if this would work or not, I have never seen it done.
I know manufaturers wont touch it if you have a problem.

Old 02-06-04, 08:40 PM
Cedwin
Visiting Guest
Hardie panel underlayment may be okay for ceramic tile but not for linoleum.
You should use 1/4" plywood for your underlayment. One that is made for underlayment.
Neither the glue for the linoleum or liquid nail will fill the joints in the floor.
Use Armstrong #184 or something similar for the filler.
The plywood should be stapled with 7/8" staples every 4" inches all over plus about every 2" on the joints.

Edwin

Old 02-09-04, 08:25 PM
rs0
Visiting Guest
if you want to spend more money and time i guess you could use the hardi backer and then level the entire floor with thinset. But to save time and money I agree with theses guys 1/4" luan board and crack fill the seams.

Old 02-10-04, 08:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl underlayment

A 1/4" plywood underlayment recommended for vinyl floor coverings that has no plasticizers or fillers that may migrate and result in chemical reaction and discoloration is recommended under vinyl. Check with the manufacturer of your vinyl product to make sure that instructions regarding proper underlayment, floor patch, acclimation, adhesive, and other directions are followed in order not to void warranties.