Polyurethane vinyl floor

Old 02-06-04, 11:50 AM
bradlam
Visiting Guest
Polyurethane vinyl floor

We are re-doing a pretty small bathroom in the basement. I originally wanted to replace the floor because I thought it was in really bad shape, but on closer inspection, it really isn't. The problem is that it's really dull. After some heavy scrubbing, it looks pretty good. There are no scratches, it's adhered really well (and I mean really, really well), and it isn't worn anywhere. Since I have a rug that will cover probably 75% of the floor and I don't mind the color or the style of the floor, I've decided I don't want the trouble of replacing it. But the dullness just makes it look super worn and dirty. Is it possible to put a layer or two of polyurethane over the floor to get the shine back and to protect it? I'm sure it's a pretty old floor, probably put in in the 70's when the rest of the basement was finished, so I don't really know what it's made of. It's very hard, much harder than the vinyl we put in the upstairs bathroom and the 10 year old stuff we removed from the kitchen. If I can polyurethane it, is there a special brand or quality I should be looking for? If I can't polyurethane it, are there any other suggestions for bringing it back to it's former mid-seventies glory?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 01:41 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
If it is real linoleum then you need some specific products.

if it is regular sheet vinyl, go to ANY flooring store and buy armstrong stripper and polish, that will work just fine.
easy to apply.

Old 02-10-04, 08:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl floor

Applying polyurethane to vinyl floor may produce less than desirable results if discoloration and yellowing take place due to chemical reaction. Strippers, sealers, and polishes are available at janitorial supplies. These are products used by professionals to maintain vinyl floors and the quality tends to exceed those available in cleaning aisles. If you do not have a janitorial supply in your area, go to www.cleanteam.com. Jeff Campbell has commercial products available online and in his catalog.