Vinyl over old ceramic tiles

Old 02-06-04, 08:48 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Vinyl over old ceramic tiles

Guys, We have this 1953 house that has the original ceramic tiles in the main bath. If they were pretty it would be one thing but they are that 50's maroon and brown thing in a mosaic patern. They are well attached but my question is: Can I, a newbie, install vinyl tiles or else sheet product myself over this old tile and does it have to be leveled first? I have read some of the other posts and it seems that a pro installed sheet product is the best choice especially since I'm a novice. Do you agree? I could remove the toilet and plan on replacing the vanity in the bath anyway so timing could work. Thanks in advance, QR

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-04, 05:24 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you could do this yourself since it is such a small area.What needs to happen is the floor needs to leveld and smooth,you can acheive this by using an embossing leveler to fill the grout joints and fill in any other voids in the tile.Mix as specified on the container and apply with a flat trowel,make as smooth as possible cause you will need to go back and sand or scrape the floor when finished ,then after the first coat is dry then mix some more and do it again let dry and scrape or sand smooth.

Oh, make sure all the tile are attached firmly and none are loose get back to us and we'll talk you through the rest

Old 02-10-04, 08:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl over ceramic

This is an install-at-your-own-risk project that will probably void any warranties from your vinyl manufacturer. Yes, it can be done if tiles are super clean, and properly patched and sanded before beginning the project.