vinyl over vinyl 3X5 missing

Old 03-18-04, 06:01 PM
redneeckgirl
Visiting Guest
Question vinyl over vinyl 3X5 missing

I am getting ready to install peel n stick vinyl in my bathroom but there is a section of the existing vinyl sheet missing around the toilet where I had to replace the underlayment due to leaking toilet.
The leaking toilet has been replaced by new and no moisture is in the area now other than light condensation from fill hose. The rest of the floor is already very level (since I live in manfacutred home) and the "seam" where the 3X5 section is gone lines up with another wall. Is there something I can use to just make a 'slope' from the old vinyl sheet to the underlayment and lay the peel n stick vinyl over that or do I have to pull up old vinyl (which is in excellent shape other than the missing section)?

F.Y.I's... the room is also 'broken up' spacially by counter, cupboard tub etc. is very large floor space aprox 12X11 and flooring under vinly sheet is all underlayment. The missing section is also in a corner.

Any help I can get with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Since I do the space is broken up would it be easier to start on one wall instead of center of room?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-04, 09:06 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
It is really in youre best interst to get that vinyl up off the floor.Whatever you do to this floor at this point is going to come back to haunt you later.

If at all possible get that vinyl off the floor and put down new underlament,if that is not an option then make sure the edge of the floor that is going to act as the starting point of that slope is adheared well to the floor so it wont curl.

Then find some ardex feather finish at a flooring store near you and use that for the slope mix as stated on the bag and then feather that edge down to the floor.You'll need to scrape the edges down and smooth that edge off

Now keep in mind that this will probably not last for too long maybe a year or two then you will more than likely be doing this again.

Also get some thin spread adheasive an dthe notch trowel that it calls for on the back of the can.Use this before you put the tile down and do not rely on the the glue on the back of the tile to stick to the floor ,it wont work,you would be better off with the toilet out too but you can cut around that if you have to, get a hair dryer to soften up the tile before you cut