Preparation for laying vinyl floor tile

Old 03-30-04, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preparation for laying vinyl floor tile

I am preparing to lay vinyl floor tiles in my bathroom. I have already put down the plywood underlayment and am now wondering how to handle the next step. The sales person at Lowes recommended filling the gaps between sheets with Armstrong S-194 patch & leveler, which I bought. Instructions for using this material are very sketchy. Do I need to sand this material after filling the gaps? What next? I was also told to use a latex primer (which I also bought) before putting down the tiles. My tiles are self adhesive. Any suggestions about how to handle these for a good installation? ANY suggestions about any part of the process would be much appreciated. I have never put down vinyl tiles before and am completely unfamiliar with the process.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-04, 02:08 AM
T
Vinyl tiles

Surface will need to be very smooth, so sanding will be required. For installation instructions on this website, go to http://www.doityourself.com/vinylfloors/savtintro.htm

Old 04-01-04, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the tip. I checked the site you recommended and it was helpful. I sanded the patch/leveler, and slight depressions still remained where the sheets of underlayment were joined and where screw heads were buried. So I filled these in with drywall compound (the cement-based patch from Armstrong was a real pain to work with) and sanded again. Then I applied the latex primer. The surface is smooth, but I hope the drywall compound won't cause a problem. I am now ready to lay tile. In retrospect, I think I have done a lot more preparation than was necessary. Probably should have just laid the tile on the plywood underlayment and forgotten about it. Should have contacted the experts before starting--I'll know better next time.

Old 04-05-04, 05:37 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
let us know what happens to this floor could ya?The problem with using the drywall compound would be the fact that it is water based and water soluble so if and when any water gets in there it may eat away the compound and the floor could fail.

You should always put down underlayment when dealing with this kind of tile and do what the directions call for.THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH INSTALLING FLOORs is PEOPLE DON'T follow all the directions and the floor fails and then we wonder why.These are time tested and everyone has already made the mistakes that the directions are derived from that how they know what works and what don't

Old 04-07-04, 09:00 PM
Prep for laying vinyl floor tile

Floorman,

As I mentioned, I DID install plywood underlayment over the subfloor. The main problem I was having was with the Armstrong products and the instructions that came with them. The instructions that came with the S-194 patching material that I used to fill screw holes and gaps between underlayment sheets were not very specific and rather confusing. For instance, they said to put down the underlayment AFTER using the patching material that was used to fill the gaps. The instructions were too generalized to provide much help for a beginner. After I sanded the patching material, there were still minor depressions that hadn't been completely filled. Not knowing if these would make any difference, I decided to make the surface completely smooth by using drywall compound. It probably wasn't necessary to do anything more, but I didn't want to take any chances. I don't really expect any problems with the drywall compound because the depressions it filled were vary shallow and it was sealed with latex primer. If it does cause problems, I'll post it in the forum.

My biggest problem was probably trying to be too perfect and not knowing how good was good enough. Probably did more prep than I needed to.

Old 04-09-04, 06:08 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Sorry, misread you're post.You are right they are very generalized and only give you one scenario to go by.

They patching they refer to i think is fir any flaws in the floor you are going over then the luan and more paych on the seams 2 coats by the way,cause the first will shrink as you have found out,then let dry then sand down, sweep then the primer let dry and then tile.I apologize, hope it turns out for ya