Vinyl floor spots

Old 04-07-04, 09:54 AM
dandb
Visiting Guest
Vinyl floor spots

We have a solid sheet vinyl flooring in our kitchen that has been down for 8 years. It is still in very good condition except for every now and then there are little rust colored spots (the vinyl is mostly an off-white with some blue). They remind me of spots where spaghetti sauce or something dropped has stained it. I don't think that's the case however. Someone told me that it was glue coming up through. If that's true why is it just every now and then. Smallest spots are about the size of a pencil, larger ones are irregular shaped half-dollars. We layed the 1/4" floor sheeting below the vinyl when we installed it. Any ideas?

Last edited by dandb; 04-07-04 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-04, 07:11 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
What was used to fasten the luan to the floor?Try to determine when these spots appear according to the weather outside maybe a humidity factor affecfting the patch or the nails or screws that were used to put the luan down?

Old 04-07-04, 07:22 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
My thought exactly Floorman.....

Old 04-07-04, 09:07 PM
dandb
Visiting Guest
I'm assuming the "luan" is the 1/4"sheeting? I'm sure it was screwed down. Does anyone know of anything that could take the spots out?

Old 04-09-04, 06:01 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
no if this is what i think it is then problem is from under the vinyl and cannot be taken care of from top or bottom.

Did the screws get patched over?If not then the culprit may be the screw heads rusting and only showing up under high humidity levels