How do I clean the underlayment after removing vinyl?

Old 05-27-04, 02:05 PM
DoRight
Visiting Guest
Arrow How do I clean the underlayment after removing vinyl?

I have just removed the sheet vinyl tiles off my bathroom floor but I want to know the best way to clean all that adhesive off before placing some self adhesive vinyl tiles on top of the underlayment and making sure it's flat. I'm sure the underlayment/subfloor is wood and my house is about 10 years old so I don't think I have to worry about asbestos.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-04, 03:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To be honest, I would rip out the old underlayment and replace it. If you use a solvent it can and will cause a secvere bonding issue for the new tile.

Old 05-27-04, 04:02 PM
DoRight
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Daniel Wachtel
To be honest, I would rip out the old underlayment and replace it. If you use a solvent it can and will cause a secvere bonding issue for the new tile.
It turns out that my underlayment is really some kind of concrete material, at least I think it is. It is a sandy material for sure. Could I buy new underlayment and put it on top of the old one or just wipe off the dust with a mild cleaner? It's pretty smooth right now but I'm just trying to remove the sand and some of the adhesive.

Old 05-28-04, 02:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rip it out. IOf the new plywood is not fastened to a very good surface you could wind up with "nail pops".