buyer beware!!!

Old 05-30-04, 10:36 PM
carbonater55
Visiting Guest
buyer beware!!!

I have a dry concrete basement family room that has been carpeted for 25yrs with no moisture problems. went to home depot and asked about putting tile (vinyl) down. I purchased the recommended top grade trafficmaster 18x18 peel and stick tile. after acclimating the tile to the basement and priming the floor I read the instructions that said warranty would be void if installed below grade. I called the warranty # and was assured if the basement passed the moisture test (saran wrap taped to floor for 48hrs.)there would be no problem. So I installed the first half and had the edges lifting within an hour. Went back to home depot and purchased the reccomended roberts glue. I installed the rest of the tiles only to have them lift(curl) worse than the non-glued tile. home depot has refused any responsibility since the box said not warranted if installed below grade even though they said it would work. I am out 600 bucks and have since removed the tile and installed carpet. P.S. I was told by carpetoligy that tile should never be installed in a basement.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-04, 07:41 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My basement has been tile since 1943 and the tile is well adhered. We just had some really wet weather come through the area, is it possible that some of that may have caused tha bond failure? Did the product require a wet set adhesive or a dry set adhesive? Was it rolled? You may want to rent a 100# roller and roll it a few times to see if it sticks. There are many variables to a vinyl tile installation. I'm sure it can be corrected so you won't be out $600.00. Try the roller and let us know if it helps. Maybe we can save this floor.

Old 05-31-04, 10:17 AM
carbonater55
Visiting Guest
daniel.

We primed. and used the 100#roller,Heated and rolled. used the roberts 2057 glue.had the basement up to 75 degrees for 2 days. and the longer the tile was down the more the edges curled.We were going to carpet over the tile but, the installer said It was curling to bad. That it might show thru. so, we removed it all. as i said before,this basement is and always has been dry.

Old 05-31-04, 11:50 AM
D
Was the adhesive allowed sufficient open time to dry before the tile was set?

Was the tile set in wet adhesive?

Since the tile was removed and carpet installed, please play along so others can learn from this problem.

Old 06-01-04, 08:31 AM
carbonater55
Visiting Guest
The glue set for 4to5 hrs untill it was not wet or shiny as per instructions on glue. I am a very handy person and have done a wide range of prodjects including bulding a 22-28 cathedral ceiling family room. and, will admit to sometime cutting corners. But, on this prodject since the instructions said "not warranted if installed below grade" all inst. were followed to a T. but,i also would like to determine why the installation failed.

Old 06-01-04, 01:57 PM
D
I just read the instructions for the adhesive online and it said it was not for below grade wood floors. I'm puzzled too. I wonder what the alkalinity of the slab is. If its over 9 it will cause glue failure. Maybe some of the other floorguys hare can help out.

Old 06-01-04, 02:00 PM
D
Actually the peel and stick tiles should have adhered pretty well without the extra glue. If those are the tile I'm thinking of they almost remove your fingerprints from the fingers.

Old 06-20-04, 05:24 AM
mswedenborg
Visiting Guest
I to used the traffic master

I also laid the 18x18 traffic master peel & stick and had the same problem. I was given my money back in full. I was told this product will not work below grade no matter what you do. DO NOT TRY THIS PRODUCT BELOW GRADE