encasing asbestos tile

Old 06-11-04, 12:26 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question encasing asbestos tile

I called an asbestos abatement professional and from the description of my floor, he didn't think I needed to remove it. That being said, do I have the steps in the correct order to cover it with a vinyl tile?

Are these the steps?

1. replace any missing tiles with new tile (or old tile) which is the same thickness. Using what adhesive?? I will be replacing some old asbestos tiles with some unused asbestos tiles and if I run out I will use either vinyl or linoleum tile cut to size.

2. Wash all tile to remove wax and dirt.

3. Fill in other large areas with a substance called ARdex (a type of cement?)

4. Use embosser for smaller areas.

5. Lay new vinyl tile, either self stick or using mastic.

Did I miss any steps?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 12:30 PM
C
Lightbulb more info

oops I probably need to give more info.

I will be removing the large and small pieces of broken asbestos tile, but not scraping up anything. If it is already loose, then I will remove the tile, but otherwise the tile will stay in place. The abatement contractor said, as long as the tile was in big pieces and not shredded then I was OK. Mostly there is worry about small fibers from drilling or sanding the tile.

Old 06-11-04, 12:38 PM
C
one more thing

And the tile to be replaced is in the basement laundry room on a concrete floor, so it probably would not be a good idea to put down 1/4 in. plywood as a subfloor. I worry about the floor getting wet, although generally that has not been a big problem, just a small problem in one small area when we had 30 inches of snow followed by a whole day of rain.

Old 06-11-04, 05:36 PM
D
The ardex will take care of the small areas too. You did your homework on this one, you have it well in hand.