Vinyl Floor Backing

Old 06-16-04, 03:18 PM
Libby77
Visiting Guest
Vinyl Floor Backing

I pulled up the carpet in my boys room to find old linoleum sheet flooring. After pulling that up a brown paper is on the floor. Do I have to pull this up too or can I lay vinyl peel-n-stick tiles directly on this?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-04, 04:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is a concrete floor use a 4" wallpaper scraper to scrape the floor clean. If it is wood install a layer of 1/4" underlayment to put the tile on. A peel and stick floor requires a VERY clean surface to advere to. Do not use any solvents to remove the felt, it will cause a bond failure with the new tile.

Old 06-17-04, 12:30 PM
Libby77
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for your response! The paper is actually gray (not brown), is there any chance it might have asbestos? Also the paper provides a smooth surface and is on plywood and instead of the 1/4 under layment, can one use a latex primer on the gray paper then stick on the tiles?

Libby

Old 06-17-04, 01:11 PM
D
Don't put the tile on the felt. Perry put some good advise to remove the felt here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=170534

Old 06-22-04, 01:04 PM
Libby77
Visiting Guest
Vinyl Flooring

Hello Daniel, thanks so much for your information, but...what if I already pulled all the vinyl and the felt did not come up with it...can I just put new underlayment on top of the felt or does the felt have to come up first?

Old 06-22-04, 03:31 PM
D
Yuo can put the new underlayment over the felt if it's pretty smooth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: