asbestos safety

Old 06-18-04, 12:25 PM
FloridaSheila
Visiting Guest
asbestos safety

I recently received results from an asbestos testing kit I ordered from your site. It stated that the vinyl tile sample I submitted has 2.5% asbestos content.

What does this mean? Is it safe to pull up the tile or does any asbestos content mean it shouldn't be disturbed? I'd like to stain the concrete under the tile or pull up the wall-to-wall carpet and replace it with another floor covering.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-04, 06:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There may be codes in your area for asbestos removal. I would check, especially for disposal.

Here it is OK for us to remove them, as long as NO dust is crated. We mop and remove, mop and remove, repeating the process, keeping a wet area we are working. Same with the adhesive used to adhere the tiles. If it is black cutback adhesive, it too contains asbestos.

We have to pay out the snoot at the dump, to dispose of asbestos debris.

Old 06-23-04, 06:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Another asbestos question

We removed basement carpet that was laid over vinyl tile. Had the tile tested and it and the mastic are positive for asbestos. Were probably installed 1965-70. Here's my problem. I planned to leave the tile in place and not cover it. In removing the carpet tack strips along the edge, I broke tile all along the edge. These breaks are intermittent along the outer edge of the floor and up to 3 inches from the wall. In other words I have a crummy looking strip all around the outside of the room. This room is NOT intended to be a designer's dream, only a useable room for family gatherings, etc. So my first question...What can I use to fill in those broken areas to "level off" the floor. I don't mind that it will not look perfect. I don't even mind if it looks a little "do-it-yourselfish". I just want a smooth floor. Secondly, would a good liquid wax seal the tile? Or is that necessary? Thanks,
JayPete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: