Kitchen Floor Redo

Old 06-19-04, 07:34 PM
jazmateta
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Floor Redo

Hi,

I have been reading all the posts on vinyl over vinyl. I have gotten lots of info. This kitchen was first redone about 12 years ago. The current 12x12 vinyl floor is down there for good it seems! Only one very small piece, about 2" square has come up (hey the previous folks didn't have this forum to check into) and it is on concrete floor - also confirmed by moving the fridge and stove. There is one area on this floor that has gotten wet many times (dogs tipping over their water dish) and the tiles are still not coming up. I'm guessing that they used the same super glue used on the wallpaper - what a job getting that down.

Having established that the existing vinyl is secure, I have seen that I would need to throughly clean this - I don't believe that it has been waxed, but with what? Then I will need to use an embossing leveler to even out the slight pattern in the vinyl and to fill in the one area where the small tile has come up. I do have peel and stick 18x18 tile to go in here, this tile has more texture than the existing. I also see that it is highly recommended to use a thin (or clear) spread adhesive. Which type of trowel should be used, notched or straight?

By the way, this is my first time for refurbing a kitchen, and this is one of many firsts that I will accomplish.

Thanks for helping me clear up my confusion.

Jazmateta

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-04, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For peel & stick, use a short nap paint roller, or flat trowel it. Then let is sit for about an hour to clear out and tack up. It should turn completely clear. Then you have 24 hours to get tile on top of the clear spread adhesive.

Old 06-19-04, 09:00 PM
jazmateta
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Floor Redo

So you can walk on this adhesive after it is dry? Or is this something that is done in small managable chunks? The area to be done is 80 square feet. It seems that if you apply it, wait for it to dry, then have 24 hours to put the tile down, you would be walking on it! I have to know this as my pups have to go through a part of this area when they are going out to the back yard to do their thing, plus my cats wander the house.

Thanks.