Bathroom Stink - vinyl tiles?

Old 08-02-04, 07:59 AM
rhorton
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Bathroom Stink - vinyl tiles?

OK, we have been dealing with a stink in our bathroom for about a month now. We believe it was from water getting under our vinyl tiles and making the adhesive smell. Over the last week or so, we have taken up the tiles and let the floor dry out. We got new tiles (wanted to replace them anyway) and put them down over the 'dry' floor and now the smell is back with a vengence!

We have had a plumber look at it (said it was wet drywall), had a 'handyman' look at it (said pull up flooring) and contemplated it a lot ourselves and can't figure it out... please help... anyone, it is a disgusting smell (and it is not due to the toilet - we've made sure of that)

Thank You,

Roy Horton
St. Louis, MO

Old 08-02-04, 10:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the base of the toilet, where it meets the flooring, caulked and sealed as it should be to keep sewer gasses contained?

Old 08-03-04, 09:47 AM
rhorton
Visiting Guest
yes... with a new reinforced wax ring as well...

Old 08-12-04, 06:29 PM
T
going thru it

I have a bathroom just like yours I replaced the floor and the bottom 4ft of sheetrock all the way around, I read on here someone painted killz on the floor to take care of cat smell so that is what i have planed before I tile the floor and put the bath room back together I hope it works...

Old 08-14-04, 05:40 AM
Cats cause more damage to homes through out north America, then fire, floods and tornados.

You may mask the smell for some time, but it will eventualy slowly come back. Because this smell comes back slowly, you never notice it. You get conditioned to it. Like walking into someone elses home that has a smell unlike your home. They never notice it, but you do. Same applies here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: