self-stick armstrong tiles over old linoleum

Old 10-20-04, 07:13 PM
granny99
Visiting Guest

help anyone! i have gotten so many different answers depending on the site i go to.

i am going to install armstrong self-adhesive tiles over sheet vinyl floor. the floor is down good and i don't want to rip it up. beneath is concrete. i was told that i could put a leveler over the floor so the embossing does not cause a problem and then lay the tiles. i saw on this site where someone advised someone else to do this very same thing and in addition, to use a thin spread adhesive also to help the self-adhesive tiles adhere better.

anyone have any ideas about this? also which products are good? armstrong? henry 550?

help,

granny99

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-04, 12:42 AM
leightnight
Visiting Guest
Talking Im not a certefied pro but

Ive layed quite a bit of vinal,tile,vct tile,and carpet.IF ther is any kind of moisture factores whith your floor do not use peel and stick tiles,all seems are basicly exposed and varnable and because of this factore peel and stick dont stand up (last)in any kind of rough conditions.I understand you cant beat the price but surly you can if you cosider how long its going to last.If its just temp or you dont care how long its going to last then make sure the floor is free of dirt ect.peel and stick away just make sure you dont have any large gapes on your edges for the tile will move over time causeing gaps out in the feild.Its not a good idia to mix adhesevs unless you know there copatable.

Hope this helps:Leightnight

Old 10-21-04, 08:10 PM
granny99
Visiting Guest

i decided to get rid of the layer of linoleum. i have now ripped up the old vinyl sheeting. what is left of course is the paper that is glued to the concrete floors. i think now that i have to put something down that will soak the paper and glue and i can scrape off.

i will then have to use a leveler to make the surface smooth.

there is an adhesive that can then be put down afterwards to aid in the tiles adhering to the surface. henry 430.

i will go to home depot and do my research.

any ideas from this forum will be much appreciated.