asbestos

Old 02-03-00, 10:01 AM
Visiting Guest
I know that asbestos is in older floor tiles but is there a year that they stopped using it? And if a person had no idea about asbestos in tiles (which I don't think many do-it-yourselfers know) and removed them before putting down new ceramic tiles how long would the asbestos stay in the house and how dangerous would it be for a small small room or foyer??? If you removed the tiles in one piece would that be safe??

Old 02-04-00, 04:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Judy:

If you even suspect that these are old asbestos tiles, don't try to remove them yourself. Asbestos is one of the greatest health hazards today. People are highly trained to deal with asbestos and it takes a great deal of special personal protection gear and disposal methods. Consequently, it will probably be very expensive to call in a contractor to remove the tiles.

Rather than remove the tiles, simply cover them up with a thin layer of plywood, seal the joints and screw holes and apply the new ceramic tile on this new "sub floor".

Please DON'T remove the tiles. This can make you very sick.

Ted

------------------
Carpenter's rule:- Cut to fit - Beat into place :-)

Old 02-14-00, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
I am remodeling the lower level of a tri-level. Floor is concrete with old linoleum covered by carpet. I had no intention of pulling out the linoleum from 1959; however, when I pulled out the carpet in the bathroom, half of the old stuff came off. There is some kind of black gunk underneath. Can I still cover with plywood or that durock stuff without removing anymore of the tiles? Thanks!

Old 02-15-00, 03:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Mary:

The "Black Gunk" left on the floor is probably the tile adhesive used to secure the tiles to the floor. If you go over an uneven surface with plywood, it "might" show up in the finished product.

Personally, I would remove the old tiles before adding any kind of new floor surface. If you put plywood over the uneven floor, eventually, the plywood and new floor will adopt the contours of the floor below and become uneven.

Ted

Old 02-23-05, 01:51 PM
fortressusa
Visiting Guest
Theoretically, there should be no asbestos in floor tiles installed after the mid-1980s. Federal regulations say that any building materials put in after then are not likely to have it. But in the real world, those of us who are professionals, continue to find that asbestos is being added to building materials--even at the present time. Go to Home Depot and look at the carton warning on a box of new Armstrong 12x12 tile. See what it says about asbestos. How can this be? I think one reason is that so many building materials are being imported from other countries that manufacturers have little control over what's in them.

The best way to protect yourself when doing any flooring removal is to use lots of water and to guard against breaking the tiles into tiny pieces. Asbestos is most hazardous when it is airborne.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: