Vinyl Over Concrete

Old 10-25-04, 06:07 PM
laweddle
Visiting Guest
Vinyl Over Concrete

Doug Aleshire, I was reading your comments below with hirst22.

We don't have a subfloor in our bathroom. It is in the basement and the previuos owners glued the vinyl right over the cement. Is this correct? How should I go about doing it *right* this time, cuz I dont really trust their handywork??

Thank you so much!!

Lee Ann

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-25-04 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Subject for Search Engine
Old 10-25-04, 06:18 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Vinyl over concrete

The Title of this thread has been edited to accommodate the DIY Search Engine. When members use the Search Engine, it searches by the title of the project. You may search in Vinyl Forum, too, for other threads on your project.

The post will be left in the Bathroom forum because the post was directed to Doug Aleshire. Once Doug has responded, he will move the thread to the Vinyl Floor Covering forum.

Old 10-25-04, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laweddle,

In all honesty, I am not a flooring expert. When I have seen vinyl installed over concrete there are some concerns. First one being moisture. Usually in an older home this may not be a problem but a new one there would be. For those homes that are older and have some seepage through walls or even through cracks in the floor this would be questionable. One problem with the moisture is that it could discolor your flooring over time. Second and I know this sounds more technical is the alkalinity. The moisture if any within the concrete or below can leach to the surface and this in effect can affect the adhesion quality of the flooring adhesive. Problem is that even if testing is done and the moisture content is acceptable with the adhesive used, it could fail. Even applying sealers must be compatible with the adhesive used or it will not adhere properly.

I know that there are means to curb this but I would suggest a professional be called in to review. The guys in the FLooring Forum can help with your issue.

I will move this to the Vinyl Flooring Forum but thanks for asking me.

Good Luck!

Old 10-25-04, 07:16 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scrape the floor clean with a 4" razor scraper and repair any cracks with Ardex sd-f abd then glue the vinyl directly to the concrete. You do not need to install an underlayment on concrete for vinyl. There are many reasons not to use an underlayment on concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: