vinyl floor installation over rough concrete

Old 08-05-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to install vinyl tiles over a concrete floor. The concrete is not level, so do I need to lay a subfloor???
If so, how do I go about doing so? Can the subfloor be glued directly to the concrete?
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-00, 10:45 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aplato:
I want to install vinyl tiles over a concrete floor. The concrete is not level, so do I need to lay a subfloor???
If so, how do I go about doing so? Can the subfloor be glued directly to the concrete?
Thanks!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-24-00, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
aplato:

How bad is the concrete?

I would be inclined to just spread a coat of cement based floor leveler over what you have to smooth it out in preparation for the floor. Find out who sells Mapei products in your town and ask about buying a bag of Planipatch. I think you can spread Planipatch directly over concrete without the need of the recommended "additive" (pronounced "glue") called Planipatch Plus.

Or, at least, that's what a professional installer would do.

However, a professional installer gets paid according to the quantity of flooring he installs, and this generally places limits on the quality of the preparation work he can do prior to installing that flooring. If you want to do a better job than the pro, mix the first coat of floor leveler powder with a solution of Planipatch Plus additive diluted 3:1 with water. When that's dry, lay a bright light on the floor to exagerate the rough spots and scrape them down with a sharp paint scraper. Vaccuum up.

Mix the second coat with water only and apply. When that dries, lay a bright light on the floor and sand it smooth with a drywall hand sander fitted with a 100 grit sanding screen with a Scotchbrite scouring pad between the screen and the hand sander so the screen doesn't clog up. Mark any depressions with chaulk so that you can fill them in with more floor leveler mixed with water only. Sand the floor smooth and vaccuum up.

Cement based floor leveler powder will sand easily when dry, and you'll be kinda reluctant to lay anything over such a soft floor. What you do now is paint the additive diluted 3:1 with water onto this smooth soft floor. The additive will wick into the porous floor and glue all those grains of cement together as it dries, forming a HARD smooth floor for you to lay tiles over.

If installers got paid according to the quality of their work instead, this is how they would do it.