12x12 self stick floor tiles

Old 11-17-04, 09:16 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12x12 self stick floor tiles

Is there any way to remove these self stick tiles other than one at a time with a hammer and putty knife? That worked ok for individual tile replacement but I am planning to replace two floors(kitchen and bath) and figure it would take a month of part time work to remove it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 09:52 PM
J
instead of removing, why not cover the existing with 1/4" plywood and recover. If you don't want to raise your floor, then removal will be long and tedious as you are finding out. One of the pro's may have another way, but any floor I've done, I've covered with plywood and refloored over that.

Old 11-18-04, 02:36 PM
P
Unfortunatly that has already been done once and the floor is about 3/8" above the hall and living room already. That's why I was hoping to find an easier way to get it off other than the obvious. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-18-04, 02:49 PM
Most stores sell what looks like a hoe but with a straight blade instead of the 90 degree bend on the end. Believe they are used for ice scraping and chipping. Has a long handle and should work for taking up the tile without tearing your back up. Good Luck.

Old 11-18-04, 05:59 PM
P
That is a good idea. Thanks

Old 11-28-04, 08:49 PM
teaux
Visiting Guest
Just yesterday & today I removed about 200 sq. ft. of those tiles. I have three children so they each took turns holding a hairdryer over the tile I was working on and moved it slowly while I pushed under with a broad putty knife. Once I had a good piece of the corner loose I would then hold on to the corner with needlenose pliers (at first I just had it by hand but that give me sticky fingers). I would continue using the putty knife to push loose the remainder of the tile.
It went well all things considered. The problem I am having now is getting off the nasty adhesive. Even though I will be covering the area with cartpet tiles I want the stuff gone. I don't want the carpet tile to end up stuck forever (it is a major walk way in the house and I expect to have plenty of reason to take them up for cleaning or replacement)
Try the hairdryer. If you don't have kids to hold the hd for you I will loan you mine ~ or ~ set up a contraption that will hold the hd for you. I found that having it straight up and down worked best. I could always tell when it was time to call in the next child because they would start pointing it at me.

Old 11-28-04, 08:57 PM
P
I like that, maybe even a heat gun would work better. I imagine that laquer thinner would take the adhesive off, but of course no flames and lots of ventilation is in order. Thant is what I have used in the past to remove similar types of residue. Thanks!

Old 09-14-05, 12:47 PM
devilboy66
Visiting Guest
Use An Iron

I removed all the tiles on my floor quickly and easily by placing a piece of aluminum foil over a tile and laying a clothes iron set to medium heat on top of it for about 2 min. You can then just lift the tile off of the floor. You might want to push a putty knife under it to help lift it. It will be hot.

Old 10-05-05, 08:41 PM
P
Thanks

Thank you for that idea. I will give it a try when I get ready to do the floor. Sorry about the late reply but other thngs have kept me busy