Leveler or new underlayment?

Old 12-21-04, 05:59 PM
garytmib
Visiting Guest
Leveler or new underlayment?

I have a 5' x 8' bath to replace an exisiting vinyl floor. Should I have it leveled or the underlayment replaced. How much should I expect for labor if I supply the vinyl. Thanks

Gary

Old 12-24-04, 07:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can install sheet vinyl over existing sheet vinyl, as long as it is no more then one existing layer, or the one existing layer is not cushioned vinyl or a perimeter bonded vinyl.

It is common to replace the thin underlayment and vinyl, actually easier then trying to pull up the vinyl and saving the underlayment. It would cost more in labor, then to just buy new approved hardwood(birch) underlayment. Luan is not an accepted underlayment.

Old 12-24-04, 05:12 PM
garytmib
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. Which method do you prefer?

Old 12-25-04, 11:48 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Ripping it out and then replacing is always the best way to go,but both methods are acceptable.If skimming(embossing) the floor then make sure the floor is still adheared well to the subfloor and then take a utility knife and cut out any bad spots curling edges etc. and then fill with the embossing leveler,you can use ardex feather finish instaed of the embossing leveler if you wish.Now the big difference when doing this method is the bubbles that are caused from off gassing of the glue when mixed with the leveler,if you do not give the glue sufficient open time when you lay the vinyl in and start to roll it out there will be bubbles under the vinyl that will go away but only after alot of rolling and mashing and what the ......... is this?So give the glue a little open time before putting the vinyl in and the bubbles will be almost nonexistant.
Perimeter glue downs are good in these situations too so consider that when picking out a vinyl,still have to emboss but they are alot easier to deal with

Old 12-26-04, 03:49 PM
garytmib
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. Any idea what I am looking at for labor costs.
Gary

Old 01-02-05, 02:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any idea what I am looking at for labor costs.

I would know what it would cost you for my time, but I cannot speak for everyone installing. I seem to be on the quality minded high side of bidding jobs.
Others installers can be on the other side of the scale, cheap, low cost corner cutting, slap it on the floor and run types out there, too.

At least if they do it hourly, they might not cut corners and take the time to do it right(as flooring retailers call it, "milking the clock") Taking too long, is an employers biggest downfall. Crack that whip and cut those corners, "I didn't bid it high enough, for you to take the time to do it right"

OOPS!!!! I was getting off topic......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: