linoleum tile

Old 12-27-04, 11:33 AM
dunnachie
Visiting Guest
Question linoleum tile

We have a home that was originally built in the 1950's. We are doing some remodeling and are preparing to replace the carpet in the bonus room over the garage. When I pulled up a bit of the carpet to inspect the floor underneath, I discovered what I think is linoleum tile. It appears to be 9" square tiles in a dark brown and cream clored checkerboard pattern. The flooring appears to be at least 1/8' thick and there is virtually no gap between the tiles.

If this floor turns out to be in fairly good condition, I would like to repair any damage to the tiles be laying the carpet but don't know anything about doing that. Indeed, I'm not even sure it is linolem tile. How can I figure out what kind of flooring it is? Then once I know that, I can proceed to determine whether or not to attempt to repair it.

Thanks

Jackye

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-04, 03:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
9x9 tiles are generally vinyl asbestos tile. Any restoration attempts should be made with the understanding that should any particals become airborne they are dangerous. Your best, cheapest, safest bet is to cover it with new carpet. You could try to clean the adhesive from the top of the tile, NO SANDING! Please use the proper safety gear for the clean up.

Old 12-27-04, 06:48 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I concur.
It's asbestos ladent V.C.T.