Vinyl over vinyl

Old 02-15-05, 09:45 AM
rshaw1655
Visiting Guest
Vinyl over vinyl

I want to install new vinyl flooring over a single layer of old vinyl in the kitchen. The old vinyl is in good condition but has a slight pattern imbossed on it. The large home center where I plan to purchase the product and have it installed wants a large amount of money to spread a substance over the old floor to cover up the embossing. This labor costs more than the new vinyl. Is his something I can do? Or does it require a great deal of experience? Is it as simple as opening a can and spreading out same material on the floor?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 02:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is over a concrete floor it may be worthwhile to use an embossing leveler. Mix it and use two coats. Very DIYable. If it is over wood put new plywood underlayment over the vinyl, unless height is REALLY an issue.

Old 02-15-05, 02:55 PM
rshaw1655
Visiting Guest
Vinyl over vinyl

Thanks Dan for the info. It's installed over wood and because of height I can't put in plywood. I don't want to take up the old floor because of Asbestos concerns and removal cost.

Old 08-07-05, 10:12 AM
pateacher
Visiting Guest
What did you end up doing? I have this same situation and I was thinking of using the leveler...it just seems easier than putting plywood down.

Old 08-16-05, 05:46 AM
M
meo
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pateacher
What did you end up doing? I have this same situation and I was thinking of using the leveler...it just seems easier than putting plywood down.

Same scenario here, we used the blueish leveler stuff with a trowel and it went on fine. The sanding to level part is the b!tch...lol. Other than that, a really really clean floor and the leveler and then the peel and stick tiles worked for us -- we didn't have room for more plywood either. Thank god, b/c I was able to shove some of the tiles under the door jams...less "precision cutting" required that way...phewsh!! The first time is the hardest, but I'm actually looking forward to the other two rooms we're going to do b/c I feel like it will only take half the time now that the learning curve is done...