Options for vinyl tiles over parquet flooring?

Old 03-25-05, 11:39 AM
sconnell
Visiting Guest
Options for vinyl tiles over parquet flooring?

Hello, We are remodeling a kitchen and currently our kitchen floor is parquet, which has been glued down. We are probably going to put down vinyl tile but we've heard conflicting advice as to what to do with our existing floor. One installer said we have to rip up the parquet, put down 1/4 inch plywood and then the vinyl tiles would be set on top of the plywood. Another opinion was that we could just nail down the 1/4 plywood over the parquet and then apply the vinyl. I tested the possibility of ripping up the parquet and it's pretty tough and leaves uneven glue all over the place so I'm not sure if additional laber is needed to sand off the glue. I'm trying to do this on a budget so does anyone have advice? I'd prefer to just put 1/4 in plywood down right over the top of the parquet without ripping it up but am not sure if that could cause problems in the future.
Thanks

Old 03-26-05, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What is the sub-floor under the parquet?
My thinking is that if the parquet is pretty solidily glued down, you could probably just tile over it, as the tiles are 1' sq and would cover the seams of the parquet pretty well. I presume these would Not be self stick tiles?? If they were self stick, then I would be concerned putting them directly ontop of the parquet. If you have to lay flooring adhesive for your tiles, then you should be ok over the parquet as the flooring adhesive will cover and fill those seams in the parquet, tightening up the whole area.
..but, Im not a flooring expert.
Im sure a couple experts will chime in here with their expertise!!

Old 03-26-05, 05:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could apply a 1/4" underlayment to the parquet.

Old 04-02-05, 11:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Vinyl tiles

1/4" plywood underlayment for wood floors will give you a super smooth surface for vinyl tiles. Go to http://www.doityourself.com/vinylflo...tfloorprep.htm for helpful information on vinyl tile installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: