New Vinyl Tile of Old Sheet Tile?

Old 06-05-05, 09:50 PM
tgargas
Visiting Guest
Question New Vinyl Tile of Old Sheet Tile?

Kitchen floor needs to be redone and debating whether to strip the existing sheet tile or install new individual vinyl tiles right over it. Is a 1/4" underlayment relay necessary?

Old 06-07-05, 04:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl floors will give you a super smooth and clean surface for a professional installation. If installing over old embossed vinyl, it will have to be super clean, scarified, and patched with self-leveling compound to eliminate the embossing design. It's much easier and highly recommended to use the plywood underlayment.

Old 06-11-05, 10:23 AM
OLDER GUY
Visiting Guest
My 6 inch vinyl tiles you can feel the grout lines and someone told me to do this also but that doggone self levelling compound you mention costs $30 for a fifty pound bag and that seems really expensive to me. If I go over it isn't there another way cause adding more plywood doesn't seem right it would get the floor too high my wife thinks.

Old 06-11-05, 12:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twelvepole
If installing over old embossed vinyl, it will have to be super clean, scarified, and patched with self-leveling compound to eliminate the embossing design.
Tgargas,Self leveling cements are not going to feather edge and remain in place over anything but a slab or properly installed cement board after being promed with slc primer, not to mention the speed at which they fire off, leaving you with a rock in the bucket. Do not do as advised, or it will come loose and create bumps under your floor.

There are specific products used for embossing leveler. One is Henry 550, ironicly named "embossing leveler" Another option for large areas would be Henry 547 with the feather edge additive (I think it's Henry 246, but don't quote me on the number) And surprisingly again, they call it feather edge additive on the bottle. There is no problem going over a single layer of vinyl with a new one if the area is properly prepped.

Old Guy, new wife?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: