Particle Board as Subfloor?

Old 06-14-05, 03:51 PM
soonie
Visiting Guest
Question Particle Board as Subfloor?

My cousin recently helped me by installing a new subfloor in preparation of laying sheet vinyl. However, he used particle board. Now I'm being told that the particle board is not acceptable, and that I will need to have it pulled up and use plywood. On the other hand, I see other messages that refer to using particle board. Is it a critical enough issue to warrant the expense of redoing the subfloor? Can I put a thinner plywood directly over the particle board?

Old 06-18-05, 10:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Particleboard is not an acceptable subfloor because it is just saw dust and glue and will not hold staples or nails.

Old 11-14-05, 06:59 PM
djmelton05
Visiting Guest
we have used masonite sheeting for a subfloor. it is water resistant and very sturdy.

Old 11-15-05, 04:54 PM
D
Masonite is also not approved by vinyl flooring manufacturers. On the other hand it has been used for years. (not by me)

Old 11-22-05, 05:40 AM
Glue and use long staples to adhere " birch finish grade hardwood plywood underlayment, to the particle board.

It's not perfect, or to required specifications, but it will be ok as long as NO WATER gets to the particle board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: