linoleum floors in mobile home

Old 06-20-05, 05:25 PM
TexasTakiat
Visiting Guest
linoleum floors in mobile home

Does anyone know any way to be able to clean these floors to make them look somewhat new? Mine right now have so much dirt and gunk on it it is hard to look at it is the sore spot of the house! And also I didnt know if since I did live in a mobile home if there was an alternitave besides linoleum floors.. from what I have been told nothin else will work!

Old 06-20-05, 07:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Linoleum floors that have years of ground in dirt, stains, dings, and dents tend not to be able to be restored to like new condition. You can strip floors with stripper and apply sealer/polish and maintain with pH neutral cleaner. Depending on amount of traffic, you may not have to strip more than once or twice a year. Daily sweeping of floors (more often in high traffic areas) will keep floor free from grit that grinds away surface finish on flooring. A weekly mopping and rinsing will prevent buildup of soil. Spills should be wiped up immediately.

There are other flooring options if you do not want the same type of floor covering. A plastic laminate floor can be floated in. This is an easy project for a DIYer. The planks snap together. The durable surface works well in active households with kids and pets. Wood laminated (engineered wood) products tend to require the same care and maintenance as hardwood flooring and can be floated. Solid 3/4" hardwood flooring is an option if you have 3/4" plywood subfloors for nailing down. Ceramic tile would call for concrete underlayment board installation before installing tile. Grout lines, if not kept sealed, can be a cleaning problem.

Old 06-21-05, 03:26 PM
TexasTakiat
Visiting Guest
well the real wood was always a thought in my mind but from what the guy at home depot told me since it was a manufactured home a real wood floor wouldnt work because I couldnt nail it down. and the plastic flooring like you said would that even look good? we want something that will give our house a little more shine! and i figure a wood floor would do it!

Old 06-21-05, 03:59 PM
T
If you want to install solid hardwood, you will need a 3/4" plywood subfloor. Most mobile homes tend to have plywood subfloor. If you have particleboard, it can be removed and replaced with plywood (OSB acceptable). Go to www.nofma.org for installation instructions.

Old 06-23-05, 11:28 PM
TexasTakiat
Visiting Guest
what about wood paneling? would i still need the 3/4" plywood subfloors for that just a questiona and would that be easier and more cost efficient?

Old 06-24-05, 07:16 AM
T
Wood paneling, the kind you put on walls, would tend not to be durable enough for floor covering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: