Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

House approx. 23 yrs old (1982) -- asbestos in flooring AND carpeting?

Old 06-21-05, 04:06 PM
newhomebuyer
Visiting Guest

Hi everyone,

Did they still use asbestos in vinyl flooring in 1982?

The inpsector indicated that we have vinyl flooring in the bathroom (it's one big sheet, not seperate tiles). The inspector said nothing about asbestos being in our home, as I think that would go beyond the scope of a home inspection. The report just has what's probably a generic blurb about asbestos -- to call them if you have any concerns.

Also, what about carpeting? By 1982 did they still use asbestos in any area of laying down carpeting and the carpet underpadding? I think I read somewhere that asbestos was used in the past when laying down carpeting and/or carpet underpadding?

The inspector said our new (to us) house is about 23-years-old, which would mean it was built in 1982.

Anyway, I realize no one can tell you if you have asbestos or not just by reading a description, but just hoping someone can tell me the chances of asbetos in a home built approx. in 1982.

Thanks very much!

By the way: If it makes any difference, I'm in Canada. I'm not sure if they stopped using asbetos in homes/home flooring the same time as the U.S. did?

Last edited by newhomebuyer; 06-21-05 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 04:20 PM
newhomebuyer
Visiting Guest
Just thought I'd add that we would like to put new vinyl flooring in the bathroom and laminate where the carpeting is.

I guess the best thing would be to put the new vinyl tiles over the old sheet of vinyl in the bathroom?

Of course the carpet would need to be removed for the laminate.

We are not doing this ourselves, by the way. We will have professionals do the job.

Thanks again.

Old 06-21-05, 04:44 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may find the info at Canada's Asbestos Institute's website helpful: http://www.asbestos-institute.ca/main.html

Although the hazards of asbestos were known as early as the 1800s, it was not until the 1970s that the effects of asbestos became fully known. Asbestos containing products began to disappear in the early 1980s. The EPA in the U.S. in 1989 said no more asbestos. Of course, any products still in inventory probably got used any way. Fortunately, today fewer and fewer products in the home contain asbestos.

You can not simply look at a household product and determine if it has asbestos or not. There is no way to know for sure if you have asbestos in vinyl and/or adhesive without having it tested. I personally have never seen carpet or cushion on a list of potential asbestos-containing household products, but if carpet has been glued down there may be the potential for asbestos in adhesive.

If installing new vinyl, you can encapsulate old vinyl by installing 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl installation over old vinyl. This will not disturb the old floor covering or old adhesive, and the new, smooth surface will provide a professional looking installation.

Old 06-21-05, 05:48 PM
newhomebuyer
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for the fast and informative reply. I really appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: